Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New stuff
New stuff [message #44091] Sun, 29 February 2004 16:27 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Have any of you tried the new Eminence Magnum 12? It's perfect for use as a midwoofer in a small high-quality two-way loudspeaker. Smells like an Audiophile Series three π speaker to me. But not until after the soon-to-be-announced midhorn.

Eminence has also introduced several other new products, the HL10 10" subwoofer, the ASD1001 1" compression driver, the LA6 series 6" midrange drivers as well as others. They're even selling a tactile transducer to rattle the walls in a home theater.

Neat new stuff! Watch for announcements - Updates very soon.

Re: New stuff [message #44092 is a reply to message #44091] Sun, 29 February 2004 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Wayne

Sounds cool. Can't wait to see the midhorn.

About Eminence drivers, I read on another internet forum:

"The entire Pro Series of Eminence has a symmetrical magnetic field, whether by extended core or shorting ring, (Faraday ring).

Be careful not to get the Kappa series mixed up with the Kappa Pro series, or the Delta series mixed up with the Delta Pro series.
Only the Pro Series has the symmetrical magnetic field."

Does this seem right to you? Eminence don't seem to mention it anywhere.

Adrian

Re: New stuff [message #44093 is a reply to message #44092] Sun, 29 February 2004 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll check with Eminence on Monday, but I don't see how it would be possible to expect flux to be the same when voice coil energy is constructive as it is when destructive without a magnetic compensation circuit, i.e. flux stabilization ring. So I don't think flux is as symmetrical in the earlier models as it is in the Magnum series.

I am hoping they incorporate a stabilization ring in the motors of the rest of their line. Their other models are great parts, but I don't think the harmonic distortion level is down as low as designs having motors that use flux stabilization. The earlier models sound very good, but they don't sound like they have the low distortion afforded by the improved motor design.

Re: New stuff [message #44095 is a reply to message #44091] Mon, 01 March 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The spec sheet for the Magnum12 caught my eyes a few weeks ago. Response curve looks awesome. Love to hear some listening impressions of this cone.

About the LA drivers, can these be used in a conventional box design? Is there anything special about these drivers, other than their basket shape to allow them to line up?

Gar.

Re: New stuff [message #44098 is a reply to message #44095] Mon, 01 March 2004 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think the Magnums sound very good, actually. Great value. About the LA series drivers, they're all just 6" midrange drivers. One model has a basket shape that allows close placement, as you have noted.

Flux symmetry confirmation [message #44116 is a reply to message #44093] Wed, 03 March 2004 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Eminence has confirmed that their motors without a flux stabilization ring do not offer the same level of AC flux symmetry as those that incorporate one. This is significant to harmonic distortion performance. But all of their motors have static physical symmetry with respect to the voice coil resting in the gap.

In other words, the magnetic field surrounding the voice coil is uniform when the energy in the voice coil is not considered or not present. This design feature is important to quality, and should be considered an improvement over designs that fail to provide static physical symmetry. It cannot serve to reduce flux modulation and the asymmetry that results, but it does ensure that there is baseline symmetry. Models that also incorporate a flux stabilization ring should be considered to have improved symmetry, because there is compensation for flux modulation as well.

Re: Flux symmetry confirmation [message #44118 is a reply to message #44116] Thu, 04 March 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Wayne

Ah, thats good to know. Thanks for asking them for me. Only the Magnum's have the faraday rings I'm sure?

How is static physical symmetry achieved? I would think that the flux field has to be symmetrical if the voice coil is not present or not considered, because it's the back EMF along with the AC field generated by the drive current in the voice coil that causes modulation of the flux. So if theres no voice coil, then none of these factors exist and the gap field would have to be symmetrical (just like if the driver was not connected to anything, nothing can cause modulation).

It's this sentence that's just confusing me a bit: "This design feature is important to quality, and should be considered an improvement over designs that fail to provide static physical symmetry". What is the design feature considering that neglecting the voice coil must mean the field is symmetrical? Or I might have gone wrong somewhere......

Adrian

Re: Flux symmetry confirmation [message #44119 is a reply to message #44116] Thu, 04 March 2004 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If I send 1.21 GigaWatts into the flux stablization ring, will I be able to travel through time? Or am I getting this mixed up with something else?

Re: Flux symmetry confirmation [message #44120 is a reply to message #44119] Thu, 04 March 2004 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Flux symmetry confirmation [message #44121 is a reply to message #44118] Thu, 04 March 2004 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
To provide physical symmetry, the magnet is made so that it has the same flux above and below the voice coil, when no current is applied. This is a matter of making the fixed magnet physically symmetrical, but does not address the issue of flux modulation from electromagnetism. The use of a flux stabilization ring generates counteractive flux to the modulating force of the field coil. Magnums incorporate such a device.

Previous Topic: jbl 2242 vs 2245
Next Topic: cap voltages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 23:01:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout