Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Need suggestions...
Need suggestions... [message #44103] Tue, 02 March 2004 00:55 Go to next message
valecue is currently offline  valecue
Esquire
I have a set of drivers I can use either in Bass Reflex (3 pi) or a conerhorn (six pi). My low-mid frequency is a fostex FW300. The TS parameters can be seen in this link.

http://www.fostex.co.jp/int/pages/sets/prodset.htm

If with a BR will probably use a fostex ft 17h to take care of the highs. If with the cornerhorn will use a fostex horn [with a 1" compression driver].

FWIW the reoom is 15 x 17 ft. And this will be driven by an 8w 300B.

Re: Need suggestions... [message #44105 is a reply to message #44103] Tue, 02 March 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
From the datasheets, it would appear to me that the FW305 would work very well in either a three π bass-reflex speaker or a six π cornerhorn speaker. The obvious advantage of the bass-reflex model is that placement is not as critical, so the speaker can be used in more environments. But the cornerhorn has some properties that make it perform better, giving better bass response and usually more uniform room coverage as well.

If it were me, I would probably give the π cornerhorn a try if I had two good corners. The rising response of the FW305 will make it work pretty well in a two-way configuration, which makes the loudspeaker very attractive since there are no exposed drivers. The tweeter is forward facing, but when mounted on a wood horn, becomes an aesthetically pleasant and interesting piece. The π cornerhorn sounds very good in this configuration too. Or you can run the system in a more conventional three-way configuration, and use something like one of the Fostex full-range drivers and a super-tweeter mounted in the front baffle. Looks to me like either of these approaches would be very promising.

Re: Need suggestions... [message #44106 is a reply to message #44105] Tue, 02 March 2004 02:14 Go to previous message
valecue is currently offline  valecue
Esquire
Thanks again Wayne. I am thinking of doing this first before the altec 406s. I do agree and am tempted to really do the cornerhorns. But because of space limitations [the room is pretty full of furniture and is not really a dedicated listening room] I may have to settle with the 3 pi.

Before I ask for the plans I will see if stuff can be moved about and free up some space for the cornerhorns.

Previous Topic: Audio round up in March
Next Topic: crossover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 17:38:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout