Home » Audio » General » Lone Star Bottleheads - Houston, July 28
Lone Star Bottleheads - Houston, July 28 [message #4405] Sat, 14 July 2007 17:23 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Lone Star Bottleheads will meet at my house in Houston on July 28. See the link below for meeting information, directions, and pictures from our past meetings.

Re: Lone Star Bottleheads - Houston, July 28 [message #4426 is a reply to message #4405] Sun, 15 July 2007 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure wish I could come, but Eddie is 10 months old now so my travel days are done for a while. Mark Margiotta just hosted a Great Plains Audio Club meeting, and it was great. His Audio Note gear sounds stunning. I should have taken some pics and posted them but I really didn't have the time. Kinda have to delegate a lot these days.

Re: Lone Star Bottleheads - Houston, July 28 [message #4471 is a reply to message #4405] Sun, 29 July 2007 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Pictures from the meeting at the link below:

Re: Lone Star Bottleheads - Houston, July 28 [message #4472 is a reply to message #4471] Wed, 01 August 2007 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lots of good speakers there; Lots of good gear in general.

Those Velvet Hammer 18 speakers are interesting to me. Look kind of like Duke's Jazz Modules with built-in vented subs. Do you know much about 'em?

Velvet Hammers [message #4473 is a reply to message #4472] Thu, 02 August 2007 15:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
They are a variation on the "Blue Wonders" from the Parts Express Project pages. The woofer is the Hammer 18CLF, a recent PE buyout driver which is similar to the Eminence Definimax 4018LF, the Eminence Beta 8 as the midrange, and the Eminence PSD2002 compression driver (instead of the range-limited ASD1001) with a Dayton waveguide. The crossover is the same as in the project except I used Dayton poly caps instead of electrolytics in the midrange crossover and Northcreeks in the tweeter signal path. The enclosures are built of 3/4" Birch plywood lined with 1/2" plywood plus extensive internal reinforcement.

I'm not entirely pleased with these speakers. They sound great at low power, but when driven reasonably hard by a high power amp, tube or SS, with music having strong bass content such as classical pipe organ music, there's audible distortion from the woofer. Confused sounding bass distortion is the last thing I would have expected from a cast aluminum frame Eminence Pro woofer with a copper shorting ring rated at 800 watts RMS. I wonder if the 400hz crossover isn't too high for this driver. Here's a link to the specs for the Hammer 18:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-444

Previous Topic: Stax discussion anyone?
Next Topic: Where's Duke?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 13:51:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers