Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2pi towers
2pi towers [message #43892] Mon, 09 February 2004 21:23 Go to next message
Peter is currently offline  Peter
Chancellor
Hi Wayne, I`m eagerly awaiting my 2pi tower kits and have been perusing the speaker forum. I notice that garman has had some very interesting postings. Trust a canuck to get right in there!. My question is; is the extra bracing that garman showed in his photographs necessary since I thought that the bracing that you recommended was to lightly preload the front and back panels. Won`t the extra bracing upset the internal dynamics of the speaker or am i being too fussy? Best Peter B.

Re: 2pi towers [message #43893 is a reply to message #43892] Mon, 09 February 2004 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Actually, bracing is recommended on each panel every 18". Most people cross-brace the front and back with two braces, high and low in the cabinet. They also cross-brace side to side in the same fashion. The easiest way is to use 1x2 boards that fit snugly, but another common way is to use a square section that spans the entire cross-section, but with large holes drilled in it. There are lots of good ways to do it, just make sure that the end result is long panels are rigid enough that they sound like solid wood when rapped with your knuckle.

Re: 2pi towers [message #43895 is a reply to message #43892] Tue, 10 February 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think there's such thing as over-bracing. There are however, a few things to keep in mind:

- Internal volume need to be maintained. If you're going to over do it, cabinent dimensions need to be adjusted.
- Air movements should not be restricted. Brace all you want, but make sure air can still move freely. Don't create subcompartments inside your cabinet connected by small "ports".
- Try not to create "symetrical section" with window bracing in your cabinet. Something about standing waves when compartments have dimensions that are multiples of each other.
- You will have to move speakers around. Too late for me. The combination of 1" MDF and extra bracing requires two people to move the speakers around.

In the end, I think I did over do it. But it didn't take that much extra work during the build. The only draw back now is that they're a pain to move.

Gar.

Re: 2pi towers [message #43910 is a reply to message #43895] Tue, 10 February 2004 19:59 Go to previous message
Peter is currently offline  Peter
Chancellor
Gar, thanks for your prompt and helpful suggestions. I`ll be consulting you as I go along. Best Peter B.

Previous Topic: 4 pi theater plans, pleeze...
Next Topic: HF horn dimentions and low end cut-off
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 08:18:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout