Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tractoid Horn Beaming
Tractoid Horn Beaming [message #43758] Sat, 24 January 2004 15:04 Go to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Why should tractoid horns (round, formed by revolving a tractrix on its axis) have low dispersion? (See Shanko's posts on Oct. 15, 2003)

Suppose a tractoid horn is flush-mounted to an infinite baffle. And suppose spherical sound waves travel down the horn. Then, when they leave the horn, they should be hemispherical in shape and omnidirectional. In fact, they should disperse perfectly in all directions. See the "orthogonal to circles" diagram at,

www.xahlee.org/SpecialPlaneCurves_dir/Tractrix_dir/tractrix.html

The only flies in the ointment that I understand are,

1) The compression driver may not produce spherical waves, so the value of the tractoid geometry is negated (why, then, load this driver with a tractoid??), or

2) The geometry of the tractoid, along with the laws of fluid dynamics, does not maintain the spherical shape of the sound waves as they travel down the horn, so they leave the horn focused. (Again, then, why use a tractoid?)

3) The absence of the infinite baffle completely mucks up everthing. (Same question.)

4) Perhaps the Oris horns do not flare out to their asymtotic ends; but this would not explain the issue for other tractoids or "tractrix horns."

Can someone explain why these would beam?

Re: Tractoid Horn Beaming [message #43759 is a reply to message #43758] Sat, 24 January 2004 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Directionality of a curved-wall horn changes with frequency. That's why horns like this have narrow dispersion at high frequencies. The pattern is wide at low frequencies, but narrows as frequency goes up.

Re: Tractoid Horn Beaming [message #43760 is a reply to message #43759] Sun, 25 January 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks, Wayne. I gues that my mental image of what is physically going on at the boundary is incorrect. I'll have to sit down with a pencil and paper and think about it a bit.

Is there a good, modern book on Acoustics where one can study these things? I bought Collom's "High Performance Loudspeakers," but it has been little help so far. Maybe I need to read more of it...

Re: Tractoid Horn Beaming [message #43761 is a reply to message #43760] Sun, 25 January 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
A few good books to have are "Introduction to Electroacoustics and Audio Amplifier Design," by Marshall Leach, "Acoustics" by Leo Beranek and "Elements of Acoustical Engineering" by Harry Olson.

But here are some references you can download to get you started. Check out George Augspurger's "Sound System Design Reference Manual." Chapter 3 is about directionality, and it touches on the subject of narrowing directivity. Polar plots are used to illustrate coverage at various frequencies. Also see the AES paper called "Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems," by David Smith, Don Keele and John Eargle. It discusses directivity as well.

Thanks, Wayne (nt) [message #43763 is a reply to message #43761] Sun, 25 January 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks

Leach's Book [message #43783 is a reply to message #43761] Tue, 27 January 2004 13:11 Go to previous message
Master
I checked on Amazon, and these books seemed to be out of print, but a good review of Leach's book was listed. After a Google search on Leach's book, I found the web site at Georgia Wreck for his class. Seems that he just released a new edition and had a link to the publisher.

I called the publisher (Customer Service) this morning, and they have the book and are sending me one to arrive in a few days (from Iowa). $60 plus tax plus shipping. (About $72 for me.)

Thought that I would pass this along in case anyone else is interested. They say that the book uses math. thru calculus plus complex numbers.

Leach also has a link to errata for all the editions, so if anyone here has an earlier version and wants the corrections, they are there.

Previous Topic: Constrained spatial loading
Next Topic: Scroll down here to see 2Pi variant- cool!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:35:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio