Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » silly seven cornerhorn question
silly seven cornerhorn question [message #43737] Wed, 21 January 2004 09:42 Go to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
Hi again.

I've got all the wood cut up (except for the doghouse angles) and am running out to Home Depot for the insulation.

I understand it should be 2" stuff without backing, which I think is R-13.

How does the insulation get attached? The only reference I can find is in the attached link which specifies PL400 Deck Adhesive. What is that, and if I cannot find it what is the generic name for something I could use?

Thanks,

Len

Re: silly seven cornerhorn question [message #43739 is a reply to message #43737] Wed, 21 January 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Lots of ways to attach it- I think the easiest is to use a spray adhesive that comes in an aerosol can. Of course, now that I'm typing this, I can't remember the brand I've used, but they sell it at Home Depot. I think it's made by Dupont. It's used for mounting photos, displays, almost anything and very easy to use, and much stickier than you'd imagine.

I got R-13 with backing and tore the paper off cause for some reason it was much cheaper than the kind without backing. Don't forget some cheap work gloves you can use and throw away.

Attaching R-13 insulation [message #43740 is a reply to message #43737] Wed, 21 January 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You're right about using R-13. Peel off the water barrier paper and attach it with white glue or with a staple gun. A powerful staple gun will drive the staples in firmly, and does a pretty good job. But if they come unlodged, you'll have them bouncing around inside. Using white glue eliminates that possibility, but it takes longer to do.

Thanks Matt! (nt) [message #43741 is a reply to message #43739] Wed, 21 January 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

Spray adhesive [message #43742 is a reply to message #43739] Wed, 21 January 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great idea. There you go!

Thanks Wayne [message #43743 is a reply to message #43740] Wed, 21 January 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'll mask the non-damped sides (really only one short side before closing the box up by adding the driver plate and top) and spray like matts said.

Regards,

Len

Re: silly seven cornerhorn question [message #43746 is a reply to message #43739] Wed, 21 January 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duncan McBride is currently offline  Duncan McBride
Baron
It's 3M Type 77 spray adhesive. Office Depot should have it too. I use it like contact cement - a good coat on each surface, let it dry until real tacky (but not gooey wet), and stick together. I used a staple in the corners too. An old belt and suspenders man.

Re: Yeah, that's the stuff. [message #43748 is a reply to message #43746] Wed, 21 January 2004 13:03 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I remembered it had a number in the name... I didn't find any need for belt and suspenders with this stuff, but never hurts. I sprayed it on the interior, thought nothing was happening, touched it and my finger stuck! I just used a coat on the wood, pressed the insulation on and it's been fine. One of those better living through chemistry things...

Previous Topic: Ping Gar Man
Next Topic: Theater 4s rule!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 17:49:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout