Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 10-pi plan request
10-pi plan request [message #43720] Mon, 19 January 2004 20:15 Go to next message
Duncan McBride is currently offline  Duncan McBride
Baron
I've searched through past posts to see what speakers might be suitable for the Bottlehead Paramours, and I was very interested to read that these amps could be used with the JBL driver in the 10-pi. I really like the idea of building the folded horns, even though the Theater 4's would be more practical and sensible, and fit in my living room. Perhaps if I could see the plans for the 10-pi I could get over this dangerous infatuation - thanks

Re: 10-pi plan request [message #43721 is a reply to message #43720] Mon, 19 January 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Wayne,

I've also been studying the information on the 10PI on your website. Comparing the dimensions of the 4PI and 10PI, it seem like the 10PI is just a 4PI with the woofer facing the other way and fitted with a horn. Can you confirm if this is true?

Have you, or any of your customers ever try convert a 4PI into a 10PI, provided tweeter attenuation is adjusted?

Gar.

Re: 10-pi plan request [message #43722 is a reply to message #43721] Mon, 19 January 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's pretty much it. Some have built a convertable version that has the motor cabinet detachable for versatility. You can run the motor cabinet alone, or you can clamp on the horn.

Re: 10-pi plan request [message #43723 is a reply to message #43722] Mon, 19 January 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The 10 pi ported cabinet alignments (given by pialign) without the attached horn are outstanding for midbass response. I've never actually used the program specifically to design a midbass enclosure, but designs that I've made and optimized on my own for midbass driver cabinets usually fall very close to the specs that pialign gives. The result is a very potent midbass and upper bass speaker. Strapping on the horn helps augment the bottom end.

Adam

You've got mail! [message #43724 is a reply to message #43720] Mon, 19 January 2004 22:41 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Paramours don't seem to be as sensitive to the woofer's impedance fluxuations in the resonance region as do some other SET amplifiers.
So you have a few more loudspeaker options than I would recommend for other SET amp owners. Four examples that I really like are the Theater Series three π, the Theater Series six π, the Stage Series four π and the Stage Series seven π. I haven't tried the Audiophile Series seven π-18, but I'll bet it is an absolute killer on a well-built pair of Paramours too.

The Professional Series four π, seven π and ten π loudspeakers aren't the best suited for SET amps, but they aren't the worst either. Their efficiency is good, and their impedance curve is acceptable, but it's a close call. Some SET amps sound a bit anemic on them, but the Paramours work great with each of them.

One thing about the ten π's - If you have two good corners, I think you'd be happier with seven π cornerhorns instead. If you have only one good corner or something like that, the ten's are great along walls where seven π's could not be used. But unless the room is huge, the speakers are so large they are intrusive.

Previous Topic: rooms
Next Topic: foam horns and heavy drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 23:48:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout