Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Fostex Wood Horns
Fostex Wood Horns [message #43610] Sun, 11 January 2004 01:57 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Anyone seen Fostex's wooden horns? They have a 2" model (H200), and two 1" models (H300 and H400). Radial flare.

Since fostex only provide poor quality black and white pictures of their horns (*&^@#!!!) I searched the net and found some colour ones.

pictures from http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYBX14.html

They look nice but they are very very expensive :P H400 is something like ~$500 each (shown above), and the other models are even more.

I think they arn't as "dazzling" as Martinelli's horns, but they probably sound really good (they better well for the price!).

Re: Fostex Wood Horns [message #43614 is a reply to message #43610] Sun, 11 January 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for the photos!

You're right - They are very beautiful and I like their construction. Radial flare, metal throat. Good dispersion and durable construction as well as being very attractive.

Martinelli's throat is billet aluminum with an O-Ring for seal with the compression driver. Super good stuff. And several woods and finishes are available.

I really like both the Martinelli and the Fostex wood horns you've shown here. I much prefer these kinds of horns to "salad bowls" - I prefer their response and their dispersion characteristics - Nice and wide, and with reduced floor bounce. Performance is good and the aesthetics are great.

Re: Fostex Wood Horns [message #43693 is a reply to message #43614] Fri, 16 January 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Hi Wayne, I'm really fond of Fostex drivers and believe they could be incorporated with your designs to make your great speakers even better, especially untilizing the wooden Fostex horn. I'm still not certain the horn is available in the U.S.; I keep searching. I know it can be sent here if ordered.

Have you thought about using the Foxtex wooden horns on a Pi speaker?

Re: Fostex Wood Horns [message #43695 is a reply to message #43693] Fri, 16 January 2004 13:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Fostex horns are very attractive, and you can certainly use them. Here's a similar horn made by Bill Martinelli:

Martinelli Wood Horn

Previous Topic: R-13 placement
Next Topic: 4PI: 15" vs 18" versions.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:29:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers