Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Eight months in the making and still not done, but:
When I really hit it with the office scratch ticket Christmas bonus [message #43298 is a reply to message #43297] Mon, 08 December 2003 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Annual bonuses were cancelled this year but I should be grateful that I still have a job unlike two other modelmakers we had in our office. So the audio budget has been squeezed to next to nothing but hey, I do have a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's that ought to be worth something!? and an Adcom 565 preamp and a Mccormack pre and... Hmmm!

G

Re: All questions answered........... [message #43299 is a reply to message #43289] Mon, 08 December 2003 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Who won the taste test. It looks like the right finished the JD and fell long before the left toppled the turkey.

Re: MINT ! [message #43300 is a reply to message #43282] Mon, 08 December 2003 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Till,

Those are stunning. I love the veneer. Breaths new life to the 19 design. I just love your brass balls on the bottom too!

the other Bill

Sweet! [message #43311 is a reply to message #43282] Tue, 09 December 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Beautiful work, Bill. You could call them the Heritage Model or something, they certainly look like heirlooms.
Seeing those inspires me to do something with my 511Bs and bolt-on PSD2002s. I wonder if the tweets would go low enough with a steep active crossover to blend with Omega-Pro 18s?
Congratulations - heck, they're done enough!

John

Re: Altec 416 vs JBL 2226 [message #43312 is a reply to message #43294] Tue, 09 December 2003 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi speakerman;
I asked about the jbl/416 opinion and I am thankful you replied. I am in the process of deciding which woofer to use in a pi project that will use the 811/802d combo. I have 416's on hand and thought to use them but have also considered 2226h as well. In JBL literature they claim that the highest recommended xover point is 1200hz but it seems from your post you cross at 1.6k. The frequency response graph provided by JBL claims significant energy up to 3k although there is a spike around 1.7k thats 17db attenuated. The Altec 19 file from Altec claims they use a 1200hx xover. Teck note AL 6050-1. The benefit of your experience would be greatly appreciated. BTW I agree with you on the bungee sound although I always called it the kettledrum sound, but I have found it to be somewhat amp dependent. My E.A.R. el 859 doesn't produce such a pronounced effect. Thanks for any help in advance J.R.
Altec model 19 crossover info [message #43321 is a reply to message #43312] Wed, 10 December 2003 08:39 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Manualblock,
I actually have the schematic for the model 19. The 2nd order low-pass section is set for 500hz if you take the values and compare them to Pi 500hz crossover for the bottom end. The high-pass section is set for around 1.5Khz with a slightly different HF attenuation/compensation network from the Pi crossover.

The midrange control is only a coil paralleled with a potentiometer in series with the ENTIRE crossover at the input. If the pot is closed (shorts the coil), the coil is effectively removed from the circuit, if the other extreme, you have a .3mh coil in series with your crossover. Cute, but I question the wisdom of the midrange circuit control in this.

In reality, the basic crossover for the model 19 is really just a 2nd order low-pass at 500hz and a 3rd order hi-pass at 1500hz. I am going to use the Pi 500hz low/1.6khz hi and result in the same, I feel no need to run the system through a coil(mid control).

I bought the 416's from Great Plains new, but now I regret as I prefer the JBL 2226's for their design: natural rolloff at 2khz/20db, not need for fancy crossover or zoebel, and their bass is lean vs the 416, but seems to have a flatter response(at least to my ears that is!!). Also, Altec finally figured out after many years to use a 9 cubic ft ported box for the 416. Many Valencia/Flamenco versions were ported 5.7 cu' designs, and that was very liberal if you actually measure the internal dimensions.

For your project: Use the 2226 w .7 mh air coil(biggest wire guage you can afford) and 1.6khz high pass(parts express), R2=15 ohms, R1=30 ohms and .47 ufd cap. That is for 802 on 811B horn. Also, look what Bill mentioned about metal Altec horn becoming less annoying(ringing) when mounted at the front flange, dampens well enough to tolerate. I myself got sucked into wooden horns and will never go back!!!!

I hope this helps, if not better experts than me will show you the way!!!

If you need anymore info, send me a private e-mail

Regards, Ron

Previous Topic: Conical horn pics
Next Topic: Help needed for old JBL D131 and new mr/tw horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 22:38:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers