Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Conical horn pics
Conical horn pics [message #43290] Mon, 08 December 2003 01:43 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Started my conical horns yesterday... they are so much easier to build than the tractrix ones I did!

For Alpha 6 driver and hopefully 300Hz-1.6KHz response as hornresp says. 60deg by 45deg dispersion... could not make it 90deg horizontal because physcially it would be too wide to fit in the towers. 60 aint bad anyway.

Here are some pics

Probably do measurements on it with Speakerworkshop tomorow. Wish me luck I hope I get the range I want this time!

Lookin' good! [message #43292 is a reply to message #43290] Mon, 08 December 2003 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are lookin' good!

When asked about vocal range horns, this kind of horn is my favorite. Simple and effective. Yours looks almost exactly like mine, except mine has a square throat.

Add an attractive finish, and a person has a system that's both acoustically and aesthetically pleasant.

Thanks for posting the pics. Let us know as things progress for you!

Measurements and Impressions [message #43301 is a reply to message #43292] Mon, 08 December 2003 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Today was a lot of testing, and A/B listening tests between the conical and tractrix horns of mine.

Fired up the conical, and took a few freq response measurements with SW. I had to add a filler block in front of the cone to displace ~30cm^2. Its +/- 3db from 500Hz to 1.6Khz. Not bad! Below 500, theres the dip and then the peak at the conical horns cutoff. The peak is actually flat with the rest of the response, but I'm crossing at 500Hz anyway to the 2225 for

Re: Measurements and Impressions [message #43303 is a reply to message #43301] Tue, 09 December 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for your posting the results of your tests and listening impressions. Great to see how you jumped right on it, and have both physical models there side by side!!!

Good idea to reat the ears! [message #43310 is a reply to message #43301] Tue, 09 December 2003 09:18 Go to previous message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I assume you've been listening to the tractrix horns for a while. I'd just put the new horns in the system for a few weeks and see if the sound grows on you or you find your missing something important in the music from what you experienced with the old horns in the system. A/B'ing is good to find major flaws but if both sound good but different, only time will reveal your preference.
Of course, the frustration sets in when one horn plays better loud or with rock, full orchestra, etc. and the other works great with classical guitar or madrigals!

G.

Previous Topic: I need some help on selecting a Pi speaker
Next Topic: Eight months in the making and still not done, but:
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 21 16:57:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers