Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » freq response
freq response [message #43162] Sat, 22 November 2003 16:04 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey everyone

I was thinking about crossovers and stuff today, and the 2226's used in the Professional 4 Pi systems. This woofer has on-axis response up to approx 1.6KHz before it starts to rolloff.

I was thinking about off-axis response. The JBL graph shows for the 2226 that off axis response starts to fall from about 500Hz to 1KHz at a shallow rate, then drops off a bit more steady and fast after 1KHz. It's measured at 45 degrees off-axis, is this on the vertical or horizontal plane?

Since off-axis response on the 2226 starts to fall earlier, then wouldn't the power response (polar response) of the 4 Pi Pro's be rather "poor" in this region? At 1.6KHz the off-axis response is 10-12db less than the reference 0db line which is quite a lot. I know this is typcial of heaps of speakers out there which is why I want to talk about it.

Does anyone think that it's better to design speakers having each subsystem used only at the low end of its freq range so that its still omni-directional? (seeing as when the speaker is acoustically large compared to wavelength of the freq then its not omni-directional anymore). Obviously horns can have their polar pattern controlled though but I still want to know, direct radiators don't have controlled pattern, etc.

So when analyzing freq response graph's to select a crossover point, wouldn't it be better to select one so that better polar response is retained? I know this could lead to needing more subsystems. I just think that off-axis response is important, I guess thats why we're all using horns too (for one reason), though they can loose it too like if theres a curved wall on the horn. What do other people think?

Cheers!

DI Matching [message #43164 is a reply to message #43162] Sat, 22 November 2003 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Check out the link to the AES Journal paper in the post below. What is described is crossover at the point where directionality of the LF subsystem matches that of the HF subsystem, around DI of 8 to 12.
Re: freq response [message #43168 is a reply to message #43162] Sun, 23 November 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Big article on interpreting polar response graphs in this months Audioexpress
Re: freq response [message #43193 is a reply to message #43168] Wed, 26 November 2003 02:57 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Just bought this months Audioxpress magazine, November 2003 issue. Which page is the interpreting polar response graphs on? I couldn't find it yet, although I havn't had too much of a look for it yet. Skimming through the contents I couldn't find it...
Previous Topic: 2 Pi tower questions
Next Topic: Studio 2Pi or 2Pi Tower.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 19:55:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout