Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Journal of a First-time Builder - Pt 4: Functioning Speakers x2!
Re: Recom for Horn? [message #43119 is a reply to message #43118] Thu, 20 November 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Manualblock, would you recommend I try to integrate the PSD2002 with the Alpha10's or go with something like the APT50, which is more similar to the KSN1038 (and less expensive than the PSD2002)?

gar

Re: Recom for Horn? [message #43120 is a reply to message #43119] Thu, 20 November 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It may work since the alpha 10 goes pretty high and the 50 has 2500 fs an octave below xover but you would have to run the numbers through some xover design program to be better informed. I would first ask Wayne since he is most knowledgeable and I would imagine you are not the first to be disatisfied with the piezo. I would think that the 2002 would sound great and you would be half way to a theater 4pi for the future as a thought. The apt 50 is 102 db eff. so there would need to be serious padding. Its hard to recommend without having heard that combination. Good luck and keep us posted.

2 Pi mods and thoughts [message #43123 is a reply to message #43119] Thu, 20 November 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Garman,

I've been down this road, and considered an APT series driver as well as the Morel MTS-37. The Morel is a horn loaded soft dome tweeter and is supposed to be an excellent device. I haven't changed parts, but found improvement with the piezo after damping the whole rear of the tweeter with mortite. It seemed to smooth them out a bit and could be attributed to lowering the resonant frequency of the plastic horn, or the increase in mass could have just made it less excitable by the woofer interaction. Or, I'm just crazy. There are certain people around who claim to have tamed the piezo tweeters in other designs with a coat of Dammar varnish. I can't comment on the effectiveness of this, and don't intend to find out. I'd still be interested in trying the APT or Morel out. As you've heard, the Alpha 10 woofer does pretty amazing things in that cabinet. Some of the magic of this design is in it's simplicity though. When going to a different tweeter, this will be lost as either way will require a 2nd or 3rd order network, and varying degrees of attenuation. Still, at the 2 Pi's price point, Wayne has a very unique product. I know of nothing else that will "get it done" like the 2 Pi for the money. Good luck and good listening! Jerrod

One of my favorite little two-way speakers [message #43125 is a reply to message #43118] Thu, 20 November 2003 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Some people like piezo tweeters, and some don't. I suggest that one should listen to the KSN 1038 before they decide though. It is a distinctly different product than the KSN 1005 "lemon squeezer," which is the model that is most popular in low-cost PA speakers. I don't care for the KSN 1005 at all, but the KSN 1038 sounds much better, and I like it a lot.

The little one π's and two π's are entry-level products, and should be judged for comparison as such. However, as I said, I think the KSN 1038 tweeter is a good sounding device, particularly for their cost. It has flat response and low distortion, whereas the annoying KSN 1005 peaks in the vocal overtone region very badly, giving it a "spitty" sound which I suspect is the single biggest thing that people don't like.

I would not pair a high-efficiency 8" or 10" midwoofer with a 1" compression horn because this is to essentially have two midrange devices. If building a four-way, then a transition from 8" or 10" midrange to 1" compression horn is perfect. But if building a two-way system, I'd rather have a tweeter that is tuned a bit higher because that allows the system to deliver greater bandwidth. After all, a 1" compression horn shares over three octaves of operating range with high-efficiency 8" or 10" speaker, so pairing them together wastes a lot of bandwidth.

One of my favorite little bookshelf speakers of all time used a JBL Profesional Series 2115 - which is an 8" full range midwoofer - paired with a KSN 1038 tweeter. The only parts used were a 0.5mH coil in series with the (8 ohm) woofer and a 0.33uF capacitor in series with the tweeter. The coil tamed some rising response in the 8" driver and the capacitor attenuated the tweeter to match. Functionally, the speaker was crossoverless, like current models. This was a "Professional Series one π" speaker, and it combined a $200.00 JBL driver with a $10.00 piezoelectric tweeter, and it was probably my most popular model in the 80's. Sounded fantastic, and there are still many, many units out there, with happy, long-term owners.

Maybe this (Peerless horn tweeter)? [message #43127 is a reply to message #43117] Thu, 20 November 2003 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Hi! Great you got the piezo tamed, Garman. If you're still looking for possible alternatives, the Peerless horn tweeter might be a solution - I haven't heard it, though. But the price is reasonable at least.

Link to price & specs at Parts Express:

Re: One of my favorite little two-way speakers [message #43128 is a reply to message #43125] Thu, 20 November 2003 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne, I hope you didn't take my review of the Towers as a knock against your speakers. I made it clear that it does many things very well and is a great value for the money. If I hadn't built it myself, I'd probably leave it alone. But it's so hard to settle when it contains your own sweat and tears.

The 0.33uF cap I put in series with the tweeter last night did help a lot (And I came up with it without even know about the One-Pi Professional!). I will certainly explore other insulation material as well. BTW, going through the archives, you use to recommend the 22ohms across the speaker terminals for tube amps, but have not mentioned it in a couple of years. Is this still valid? When I did it, it did tone down the tweeter.

Thanks for the advice on the 1" compression. But just to play devil's avocate, the 12" and 15" Eminence drivers have pretty good SPL up to 3.5KHz as well. How is using a 1" compression with these guys different from the 10"?

gar.

Re: One of my favorite little two-way speakers [message #43131 is a reply to message #43128] Thu, 20 November 2003 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've rather enjoyed your comments here, and certainly didn't consider them to be negative, either about the loudspeaker system or the components that made it up, including the tweeter. I just wanted to mention my observations about tweeters in this price range, and of the Motorola (now CTS) piezoelectric product offerings in particular.

About attenuation of the KSN 1038, this was required for matching with the JBL 2115 because the JBL part wasn't nearly as loud as the Eminence Alpha 8 or Alpha 10. The situation is reversed with the Eminence midwoofers though, and the tweeter is slightly less loud.

In all honestly, if you measure a one π or two π with Eminence Alpha 8 or 10, you'll see that the tweeter isn't as loud as the midwoofer. There is a slight shelf, caused by the tweeter's output being less loud than the midwoofer. This is followed by a rise in output from the Alpha's, which is subdued by the coil. But the point is that the tweeter is already generating less output than the midwoofer, and adding series capacitance attenuates it further.

If your room is a bit bright or you simply prefer relaxed tone, then additional attenuation of the tweeter may be perfectly suited to your tastes. But the area that is hottest in the current model is actually the 1kHz to 4kHz vocal overtone range, which is covered by the midwoofer and not the tweeter. That's what the series coil is installed to subdue.

In regards to addition of a 22 ohm shunt resistor across the speaker terminals, there is absolutely no harm and I still like the idea. My reasoning was that since the one π and two π loudspeakers become more like a purely capacitive load at high frequencies, this may cause come amplifiers a problem, and some might even oscillate.

Some SET amps are known to be pretty sensitive to their loads, and I expected that perhaps the output transformer might interact with tweeter capacitance in a peculiar way, again, possibly even setting up an oscillation. So the 22 ohm swamping resistor was suggested to damp the circuit, just in case. There certainly is no harm in doing so.

I haven't found a single case where it was needed though, and I personally cannot hear the difference on any amplifier I ever used with one π or two π loudspeakers. So I stopped actively suggesting it, for the most part. But it would be the first thing I would suggest, if one were to find high-frequency oscillations in the circuit.

High-end horns and ribbons [message #43132 is a reply to message #43127] Thu, 20 November 2003 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
When cost becomes less a factor, there are lots of good products based on technologies having a domed diaphragm driving a compression horn. Your suggestion may also be a good medium-cost alternative.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with response limited to 16kHz in a tweeter of this class though. I used to use a device that generated good response out to 40kHz and I loved the way they sounded. Then again, I quickly stopped using them because they were too fragile and easily blown.

Another direction I'd look at would be the ribbon devices. The old Infinity EMIT tweeters were really something, and now days there are several manufacturers that provide robust high-efficiency models.

Re: Foolin' around with the KSN-1038 [message #43133 is a reply to message #43131] Thu, 20 November 2003 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Having a pair on hand, as well as some 15 Ohm Mills, I've been listening all evening with and w/o. They still have a sound signature too different from the horns but the shunt resistor does change the character enough too enjoy the extra air and sparkle they bring. I had done this back last winter w/o the shunt and that didn't work at all.
I'm going to try the varnish over the weekend.
I'd have to say that were I building the 2Pi right now I would definitely find a shunt value that worked in my room and never look back.
Creating is more like performing than listening
Re: One of my favorite little two-way speakers [message #43134 is a reply to message #43131] Thu, 20 November 2003 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wayne; Glad you have found the time to accomadate with good information on the ksn 1038. Quick question, what is it about certain amplifiers that would cause them to oscilate with the piezo? And does phase shift due to capacitive load account for that shattered sound they somtimes exhibit? This type of discussion is invaluable with knowledgable people please keep indulging us as time permits. Does the 22mic. resistor eat up ampower. My poor experience with them may be due to years of listening to solid state pro-amps.
Thanks J.R.
Previous Topic: Woodfinishing experts...seeking advice
Next Topic: Pi seven internal volume
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:39:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers