Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi cabinets
4pi cabinets [message #43076] Tue, 18 November 2003 04:42 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Couple notes; Home depress has maple sheets of 4x8 3/4 that look great on sale for 29$ I took my cabs and mounted the front inset i/4" so that the face projects out 1/2". This gives me a 90% corner around the perimeter. The Depot sells this moulding called shelf edge that has a ninety % corner of 1/2x3/4 made of poplar that takes tung oil real nice. The edge stuff is decorative and gives a real pro look to the cab. I got the Idea off Yuichi's site. Just a note
Re: 4pi cabinets [message #43077 is a reply to message #43076] Tue, 18 November 2003 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Manualblock!

How's the quality on that ply? Is there many voids? How's the quality of the face veneer? Have you put any finish on yet to see how it looks? Thanks! Jerrod

Re: 4pi cabinets [message #43079 is a reply to message #43077] Tue, 18 November 2003 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi J.L.
My Pi's that I'm building now I'm using this stuff called sandable ply that looks like birch but is 30$ a sheet cheaper. The maple I bought three sheets for an Altec project in the future so I haven't tried stain but the ply's are solid. The maple side is clear with a nice marble look. I am working on varnish or shellac for the pi's, maybe a very light cut of garnet to bring the grain up. How about yourself, what finish and wood?
Re: 4pi cabinets [message #43080 is a reply to message #43077] Tue, 18 November 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
I'm pretty sure these were made from the stuff. I'm very happy with
it, esp. for the price.

Hope I've ogt the syntax right...
Photos

Chris

Seven Pi Plans......... [message #43081 is a reply to message #43079] Tue, 18 November 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
I've done a trial panel layout and can get a complete 2 cu. ft corner horn out of a single 5' x 5' sheet of Baltic Birch. As I want these to be well built, I'm leaning toward that option. My initial plan was a maple veneer, and I have access to both the paper backed veneer and veneered multi-ply or mdf. I don't really want to veneer over the BB, but do like the clear finish over birch with it's business like appearence. But.....I really love the soft look of maple. Either route will get a hand applied clear varnish or oiled finish. I want a lighter look, so there will be no stain on these. I did a two-tone cherry finish (pictured) on the Two Pi towers with three coats of spray laquer. I'm looking for a less imposing and less complicated look for the corner horns. I want them to look good, but speak for themselves. Take care! Jerrod
Re:I'm using that HD Maple, too [message #43086 is a reply to message #43077] Tue, 18 November 2003 13:51 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It has some voids and a fair amount of mineral streaks in the maple face. The APA grade is D-D. But it's really a good value with minimal voids and no need to veneer. I would strongly suggest Watco natural oil, not the Teak oil, to finish the maple. REally brings out the soft warmth of the wood.
Creating is more like performing than listening
Previous Topic: corner cabinet design question
Next Topic: How much can you change speaker shape?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 17:00:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio