Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » KG2>PI1 or PI2 Conversion?
KG2>PI1 or PI2 Conversion? [message #43006] Wed, 12 November 2003 12:34 Go to next message
ChrisL is currently offline  ChrisL
Chancellor
I have a pair of circa 1983 Klipsch KG2s. The oak veneer cabs are in nice shape, but since I've converted to tubes, I've never really liked the sound of the poly mid/bass. They're really quite dull, especially compared to some '70s Heresys I've acquired since.

The KG2s are the original sealed version, not the later version with the big passive rad on the back. 8" nominal poly woof/mid and fairly decent "dhorn" tweeter (cloth dome loaded with a small horn). Originally rated (I think) at 91.5db/1w/1m. I cooked 'em a couple times - so none of the driver/xover parts are original anyway.

The cabs measure out to approx 1.21 cu. ft. (interior-less drivers and crossover.) Might these be candidates for a PI1 or PI2 bass reflex transfusion? They don't owe me a dime, as they say, and I'm not overly sentimental about cutting a little here and there, for a vent, say. I'm not a vandal, but these are not prime examples of PWKs efforts. I don't expect miracles just a bit more sensitivity (and hopefully dynamics) in the midrange.

Thanks for any help, comments, suggestions.

Chris L.

1.2 cubic feet [message #43007 is a reply to message #43006] Wed, 12 November 2003 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The one π kit will work fine with 1.2ft3 cabinet volume, but that's too small for the two π speakers.

Re: Thanks, Wayne! [message #43010 is a reply to message #43007] Wed, 12 November 2003 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TubeCraft is currently offline  TubeCraft
Baron
Right now it's difficult for me to carve out enough time to build the PI4s I really deserve, but this might be a great way to get my feet wet in the PI world. Thanks again.

Chris L.

Almost ideal. [message #43012 is a reply to message #43006] Wed, 12 November 2003 18:28 Go to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
The volume is almost ideal for the Eminence Alpha 8 driver used in the Pi One. If you tune to 57Hz you should get a -3dB point just over 50Hz, not bad at all! Good luck :-)
Previous Topic: Journal of a First-time Builder - Pt 3: First Listening Session
Next Topic: insulation behind woofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 01:56:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout