Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Journal of a First-time Builder - Pt 2: Veneer and Planing
Journal of a First-time Builder - Pt 2: Veneer and Planing [message #42976] Mon, 10 November 2003 06:10 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
With the Tower cabinet almost assembled from last week, I spend Saturday in search of veneer, only to find out that you can't buy a sheet of 4x8 in the city of Toronto. The largest format was 2x8 rolls. Not very economical in terms of price/sqr ft nor spoilage. However, I ended up buying a couple of 4x8 sheets of 2mm birch panel from The Building Box at $25(Cdn) each. I decided on the birch panel instead of veneer for a few reasons: 1) the thicker panel would be easier to work with 2)less than half the price of veneer, and 3) these sheets came with really cool pattern.

(See photo link for pics of veneer) When I showed my wife where the tweeter was going to sit on the veneer, she laughed herself to tears.

On Sunday, I finally made the decision that the towers will be full size and committed by installing the bottom panel. I then spent the rest of the afternoon with a flush-saw and block-plane to make sure all the edge and panels are flush. I did a pretty good job with the assembly, but there were still a few areas where the edge and panels were off by 1/32 to 1/16 inch. Luckly, all but one of these offsets were edge-proud and could be planed down. In the one instance where the panel was raised, I used wood filler to reshape the edge. It would have taken me a very long time to shave the raised panel down.

Lesson learned: As Bill said in a previous post, if the edge and panel cannot be flushed, error on edge-pround. It's easier to shave an edge down than to fill the edge in or shave the panel down.

Pics are posted of the final cabinet edges and tools used.

... to be continued.

Re: Lady Chatterley's Tweeter? [message #42977 is a reply to message #42976] Mon, 10 November 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Prurient Pi?
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Creating is more like performing than listening
Re: Lady Chatterley's Tweeter? [message #42979 is a reply to message #42977] Mon, 10 November 2003 07:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great looking veneer; Great looking speakers!

And they'd be an excellent addition to Dan Schmalle's lineup - Foreplay, Seduction, and Gar's tower two π's!

Previous Topic: 7Pi plans
Next Topic: when designing horns,remember to..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:09:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio