Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » when designing horns,remember to..
when designing horns,remember to.. [message #42974] Mon, 10 November 2003 02:30 Go to next message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
....make enough space for the woofer to be used ;-P

is 9mm enough clearance from woofer magnet to the horn baffle?
hopefully in real life there will be that much,i think il route it otherwise.
-or perhaps i should optimise it further to use up that last few mm :-)

i think il have to redo this one with 25mm MDF where possible

not long now left with CAD work for this 40hz beastie!!

Re: when designing horns,remember to.. [message #42975 is a reply to message #42974] Mon, 10 November 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Mike,

I've seen stuff done before where there is little clearance between the magnet and the wall behind it.

If the driver does not have a vented magnet, then it could probably be used OK. But if it has got a vented magnet then I'd suggest keeping more room because that air really can come out pretty quick from that hole, and if its restricted then it could cause the motor to heat more quickly. Also the air can 'bounce' off the wall behind it and back through the air vent and cause interferance with its operation if the clearance is very little and if the driver is used at high diaphram travel. Try putting your hand over the vent on your 2226's magnet, then turn it up high and you will see what I mean, you'll hear it actually.

Adrian

...reinforce your foundation! [message #42978 is a reply to message #42974] Mon, 10 November 2003 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

After you build these, you'll have more trouble than woofer clearance or magnet venting. You'll have trouble with the structural integrity of your home!!!

Seriously.

That's a cool design with a great response curve. I assume that you've entered π/2 (eighth space) in Hornresp, yes?

Adrian makes a great point, similar to the cooling vent comments from Adam last week. My gut feeling is that the distance combined with the deflection angle of the boundary will probably encourage venting. One thing is for sure - Your response curve looks great and I expect these to sound great too.

Re: ...reinforce your foundation! [message #42982 is a reply to message #42978] Mon, 10 November 2003 13:46 Go to previous message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
yeah the 2226 is supposed to have 3inches radius airspace around it..

i can optimise it further im sure!

40hz response attached.(my corner horn)

the 25hz one will be impressive but i dont want any part in construction!haha

i can optimise my one further,using 4 conicals to flatten response,but i may not bother.its already more flatter than my main speakers ...

only 34cm depth internal!
i think i maybe in heaven when its finally built :-)

Cheers!

Previous Topic: Journal of a First-time Builder - Pt 2: Veneer and Planing
Next Topic: DIY PI with Tube Components questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 02:00:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers