Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Port Location Question for Towers
Port Location Question for Towers [message #42944] Fri, 07 November 2003 07:14 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm having some problem deciding where my port should go on the Pi Towers. Wayne has mentioned that it doesn't matter whether its on the front or back, so long as there's room to breath.

If the port is cut on the rear baffle, how far away will the speaker need to be from the wall. Due to the Tower's size, I'd like to be able to place the speaker as close to the wall as possible. Feedback from owners of "stock" Towers?

If the port is cut on the front, would it be a problem if it's cut in mid-baffle (approx 6" below woofer)? I'd want the option to put things in front of the speakers.

thanks,
gar.

Re: Port Location for Towers [message #42945 is a reply to message #42944] Fri, 07 November 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both front and rear port placement options are fine. The thing that's important on the towers is the vertical position. Do not move the vertical position of either the port or the woofer because that would change where standing wave nodes line up. The positions chosen minimize response abberations from internal standing waves.

The port is fairly large and so velocity is rather low. But I'd still suggest six inches of unobstructed area surrounding the port. That said, I've got mine shoved clear back against the wall, with exactly two inches between the rear baffle and the wall. It sounds just fine like that.

Would you say . . . [message #42948 is a reply to message #42945] Fri, 07 November 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
. . . rear-firing makes the speaker more sensitive to room placement? I've got Paradigm Minimonitors with rear-firing ports, and placement is always a compromise between bass (i.e. closer to wall) and clarity/imaging/etc (i.e. more into the room). I didn't notice such a distinction with my previous speakers which had front-firing ports.

That is, does rear-firing make it easier to get more bass by using boundaries?

Re: Port Location Question for Towers [message #42949 is a reply to message #42944] Fri, 07 November 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
Top-firing?
Re: Would you say . . . [message #42950 is a reply to message #42948] Fri, 07 November 2003 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Assuming resonance around 50Hz, wavelength at the Helmholtz and fo frequencies is around 20 feet, so distances that are less than about 5 feet are pretty insignificant, acoustically. At this scale, the distance between a room boundary and the woofer is about the same as the distance between the boundary and the port; The difference is probably less than 5 feet. So the room boundary should act the same on sound coming from the woofer and from the port.

I'm sure there are some applications where the two are decoupled; I've seen a few designs where the port doubles as part of a Helmholtz resonator and also as a sort of truncated horn. But in general, the woofer and port are treated as forming a system and their inter-relationships are intimately combined.

Certainly, midrange output from the cone acts differently in relationship to room boundaries than does the bass output from the port. But the bass output from the cone and the bass output from the port - within an octave of each other - interact with the room in pretty much the same way.

Double Ports Okay? [message #42951 is a reply to message #42945] Fri, 07 November 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne, so long as I keep the total areas of the port(s) the same, would I be able to split the one large port into two smaller one?
Yep! [message #42952 is a reply to message #42951] Fri, 07 November 2003 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
No problem - as long as you maintain same total area & depth (the latter being of little point here, since the depth is determined by baffle thickness).
Re: Port Location Question for Towers [message #43504 is a reply to message #42949] Tue, 30 December 2003 00:35 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Is that driver a JBL 2115 or Fostex?

Previous Topic: JBL tent sale enclosure
Next Topic: Ping - ToFo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:48:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio