Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How to downsize a cabinet's volume?
How to downsize a cabinet's volume? [message #42888] Mon, 03 November 2003 17:19 Go to next message
drguayo is currently offline  drguayo
Viscount
I've purchased an componentless pair of theatre 4 pi cabinets. I want to put in Premium Stage series 4 Pi components - this means I need to reduce the volume of the cab by 5.2 cubic feet. Would sealing off part of the enclosure creating void space work?

thanks
Craig.

Re: How to downsize a cabinet's volume? [message #42890 is a reply to message #42888] Mon, 03 November 2003 20:39 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could fill in the space with partitions filled with expansion foam. But you'll find that the Kilomax 15 will work very well in the box you have, as long as it's tuned to 40Hz. The tuning frequency is very important, particularly when the box is a bit oversized.

The Kilomax 15 works very well in boxes from 3.03 to 9.0ft3, tuned to 40Hz. When going oversized, tuning a little bit lower is best, like 35Hz-38Hz. It's tough to get things that close, particularly since parameters shift from environment, operation conditions, etc. But still, tune for 40Hz and if going a little large, tune a little low.

Another option is to use the Kilomax 18 instead, which will love this big box. The Kilomax 18 is best in 8.0ft3 to 25.0ft3 cabinets tuned to 25Hz.

Previous Topic: Do I have to use the PSD3003 with 18" drivers?
Next Topic: mulling over crossover questions. Wayne? Anybody?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:54:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio