Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » DIY PI with Tube Components questions
DIY PI with Tube Components questions [message #42875] Sat, 01 November 2003 17:17 Go to next message
HaknHendrix is currently offline  HaknHendrix
Chancellor
OK - I am planning a DIY project with the following components. I would appreciate your comments and ideas concerning my selection.

Do the components match?
What about active vs passover crossovers?
Would this configuration warrant a bi-amp approach?
Any advice concerning speaker selection?

PreAmp: Foreplay by Bottlehead http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/foreplay/foreplay_line_stage_kit.htm

Amp:
Paramour by Bottlehead http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Paramour/paramour.htm

or

Zen Triode Select: https://athena.safe-order.net/decware/Select/select.htm

Speakers: Two Pi Tower

Suggestions [message #42876 is a reply to message #42875] Sat, 01 November 2003 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It will all work together splendidly. And for two π's, I would not consider bi-amplification.

If you're near Tulsa, come to the meeting next Saturday. Stage Series seven π's on stock Paramours will be there, and they sound fantastic. Your tower two's sound great on Paramours too. Not too shabby on the Decware Zen either.

We connected both amps to the two π's last meeting, and they both sounded great. The Paramours had more bass; Both the Zen and the Paramours sound great in the mids. The Zen has lower hum, and is a beautiful amp. You won't go wrong with either amp, and I think you'll love your tower two's on either of them.

Re: C4S? [message #42877 is a reply to message #42876] Sat, 01 November 2003 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Wayne- Have you ever installed the C4S in your Paramours?

Re: C4S [message #42878 is a reply to message #42877] Sat, 01 November 2003 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I built and installed the C4S upgrades for my Paramours in May. This reduced the hum considerably, but it is still audible and the Decware Zen produces much less hum. Still, I like the Paramour amplifier very much and am impressed with its performance in the bass, particularly with speakers that other SET amps can't drive well.

It's not like Paramour hum is annoying, but you can hear it just a little bit.

Re: C4S [message #42883 is a reply to message #42878] Sun, 02 November 2003 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Wayne,

My Paramours are virtually hum-free- why I was wondering. I have the C4S, but haven't added any of the "hum reduction" mods. Am using a Tektronix/Telefunken 12AT7 for the driver, and an old RCA 2A3, though.

Am interested in hearing your rundown on the Paramours driving Stage and other higher option Pi 4's- as I'm corner-challenged. Starting to think about some sawing & gluing....

Matts

Re: C4S [message #42885 is a reply to message #42883] Sun, 02 November 2003 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've run both the Stage Series seven π speakers (using Omega 15) and the Professional Series ten π's (using JBL 2226) on my Paramours. They each sound excellent. Full bass, but not bloated. These aren't drivers I'd recommend on all SET amps, and on some, you can really hear the difference between woofers. But the Paramours drive 'em just perfectly.

Re: C4S [message #42886 is a reply to message #42885] Sun, 02 November 2003 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Seems surprising they would drive something like the 10Pi's so well- I guess that means that all of the Pi 4's are options, not just the Theatre Series. Makes it harder to think about, but it's one of those good problems!
Re: C4S [message #42985 is a reply to message #42885] Mon, 10 November 2003 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haknhendrixx is currently offline  haknhendrixx
Esquire
Are plans available for the Stage Series seven π speakers or Professional Series ten π speakers. I would like to review to see the complexity of building them.

Naturally my preference would be for the Ten's.

You've got mail! [message #42986 is a reply to message #42985] Mon, 10 November 2003 18:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: when designing horns,remember to..
Next Topic: Great Plains Audio Club Meeting - November 2003
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 11:34:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout