Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 Way conversion.
3 Way conversion. [message #42821] Tue, 28 October 2003 06:03 Go to next message
Castlesteve is currently offline  Castlesteve
Chancellor
I am trying to put together an efficient 3 way speaker by converting my existing fullrange Fostex 2.5 cu ft cabinets and adding a 10" woofer and a supertweeter on top. The woofer will be placed where the port is now and the port will be down firing through the base. I will fashion an enclosure for the supertweeter on top of the cabinets and veneer to match. My question is which woofer would you recommend? I have been considering Eminence,JBL,EV and maybe one of the Focals. I will be running these through a pair of push pull 300Bs putting out about 20 watts and my budget extends to approx $100 per side for the woofers.

Steve.

Re: 3 Way conversion. [message #42823 is a reply to message #42821] Tue, 28 October 2003 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
1)I wouldn't do it the way your suggesting, for one thing you would need to put the Fostex in an enclosure, because the woofer would modulate the Fostex causeing distortion and peaks and dips in the mid's response.
2)With added enclosure to the Fostex, the volume would be less than 2.5 cu.ft meaning you would need to re-tune the cabniet with a different port tube.

My suggestion would be make a cabinet the same size as the base of this (width and depth) calculate heighth of cabinet and put the 10" in there, that way you have a choice if you wanted to make it sealed or ported sub with out having to mess with an enclosure behind the Fostex driver. Then just add an appropriate super tweeter and go.

Re: 3 Way conversion: Why? [message #42824 is a reply to message #42821] Tue, 28 October 2003 09:04 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
You'd probably be a lot better off leaving your fostex's alone and just get the Two Pi kits from Wayne. By the time you buy wood/MDF and nice finishing materials, you'd probably be a little less than $100/side, and you'd have a much nicer product for the power you have and none of the Xover and mechanical complications you're going to get into trying to do a 3-way as you are proposing. Seriously doubt you could find anything better in your price range anywhere else.
Previous Topic: I have some drivers for sale on Audiogon
Next Topic: Are Pi's suitable for Hi-fi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 14:34:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio