Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Canadian Pi Owners - experience with customs on shippment?
Canadian Pi Owners - experience with customs on shippment? [message #42789] Thu, 23 October 2003 10:41 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A question to the Canadians on this board. What has been your experience with customs when you ordered your kits and/or speaker? Can you give some details on what I should expect if I purchase a 2pi kit?

thanks,
gar.

Re: Canadian Pi Owners - experience with customs on shippment? [message #42790 is a reply to message #42789] Thu, 23 October 2003 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

Hi Gar.

If you are having kits set to you and have a choice of UPS or UPSS (the postal service) UPS charges an additional handling fee of about 40-50 bucks. UPS changed their service and one of the recent things I bought off of Ebay was shipped to me 3 times and on the 3rd time finally made it across the border. I'll take UPSS postal service anytime. Another advantage is I can pick the package up at a local mall when I want, not when UPS is here. When the package arrives if it over $50 you tend to owe them for GST (close to $50 they overlook it sometimes). Another thing to be careful of is how the person sending declares the items in the package. I had a little horn that I won for $25 U.S. The person sending declared 1 horn worth $100. They inspected the package and found 2 horns therefore a value of $200 U.S. and proceeded to tax me $14 U.S. GST which turned into $24 Canadian. Wayne is smart enough that this won't happen on a 2 Pi kit though.

If you are talking about bringing things across the border yourself while visiting what is "free" is based on how many days you spend in the States. One day $50 free, 1 week is about $500. Check the customs site for specifics.

After getting used to shopping by mail you'll never restrict yourself to local shopping again. There's just so much available that can't be found locally. The only drawback is shipping/ customs duties.

If you have any specific questions let me know and if I can help I will.

Happy shopping.

Grant.

ups vs. upps [message #42793 is a reply to message #42790] Thu, 23 October 2003 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeff g is currently offline  jeff g
Chancellor
i had the same experience with ups - with an additional charge of about $60, but luckily i happened to be at home the afternoon they arrived.

as for other shipping questions, wayne packed everything well and shipped it very fast

jeff

ps. my 2 pi towers sound great in my system (primarily bottlehead stuff)

Re: Canadian Pi Owners - experience with customs on shippment? [message #42794 is a reply to message #42789] Fri, 24 October 2003 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super_BQ is currently offline  Super_BQ
Baron
I'd like to share a recent experience I had with Canadian Customs & Revenue Agency (formerly 2 separate entities "Canada Customs" & "Revenue Canada (IRS equivalent).

If you drive over to bring stuff back in Canada, make sure you have your receipts. Online I had ordered $1200us worth of studio rackmount gear and had them shipped to a friend's place near Seattle. Of course the place mailed me the invoice to my home address in Canada. When I picked the items up, there was NO packing slip. We made an attempt to bring the goods back into Canada and because we had NO receipt, they detained us for over 2 hours while those lazy gov't workers went online to find an actual retail price of the item. Naturally, they chose the MSRP. Not only that they didn't take my word of how much I paid for the items, they also applied a 55% penalty on TOP of the value that they stated on the items. Add the 7% GST and 7.5% PST tax and you can see that I was burned pretty hard!

Mis-stating values on goods brought into Canada is NOT a criminal offense. Though they have the power to seize the goods and put a 100% tax penalty of the value if you want them back. Also your vehicle gets blacklisted for up to 6 years so each time you go across, a flag comes up on their computer saying that they are more likely to inspect your vehicle.

For goods that are over $2000usd in value brought into Canada, i'm afraid you will need a broker to clear the items (sometimes it slips through and you just pay the tax). Though looking at the other way, I find it funny how Canadian made goods enter into the US freely under the Free Trade Act - no tax.. no duties. For good reason, I don't blame the US for putting back duties on Cdn. made goods (ie. 28% duty on softwood lumber).

OK i'm trying not to go off-topic here. Just saying that in many ways, it's probably better to get the goods shipped to your doorstep and just pay the taxes than to bother with gas and time driving down.

For me, if only UPS and Fedex didn't charge so much for shipping from US/Can to New Zealand, then i'd have everything shipped there. (All goods under $300usd enter in free).

In BC, $20cdn is the threshold in value before GST+PST +$5 broker is applied (when shipped by USPS).

There are certain online companies like Digikey.com that are insanely great to Canadian customers. Somehow, you ONLY pay GST and for most orders, you only pay a flat rate $8 cdn and it's at your door step within 2 or 3 days (airmail). I have no idea how they get around the PST and broker handling fee. Other online places like Allied have a 3rd party company that sends you a surprise bill months later asking to pay for PST and broker fee.

Hope this info helps.

BQ

Thanks... [message #42797 is a reply to message #42789] Fri, 24 October 2003 10:37 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks everyone. To date, most of my DIY purchases have been made from partsconnexion (because they're located here) and digi-key (because they take care of customs for you). But I think its time venture out and explore. From the sounds of it, there shouldn't be any big issues with something simple like the 2Pi kit.
Previous Topic: Newbie, need help about series speaker
Next Topic: A plea to all Pi-heads to join me in Rochester during the current emergency!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:36:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio