Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » THD woofer measurement-what mic
THD woofer measurement-what mic [message #42621] Mon, 06 October 2003 03:42 Go to next message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
hi

im thinking of getting a radio shack SPL meter
but can i buy a better mic for it,to measure THD levels at moderate SPL ?

especialy also as im building a basshorn later this year..

i have heard of a certain 'upgrade' mic you can use for a flatter response-but no mention of THD or noise.

Thanks
Mike.

Re: THD woofer measurement-what mic [message #42625 is a reply to message #42621] Mon, 06 October 2003 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have one of those Radio Shack meters, and while many people describe tweaks to improve them, I've just never been comfortable that they could be trusted for anything but rough measurements.

I'm of the opinion that a measurement isn't valid unless the equipment is calibrated. Certainly, one has to work within their budget and you can make do with some limitations. Still, when accuracy is required, then the quality of measurement equipment is important.

So I dunno. If you're looking to get a rough idea of SPL, then one of these meters is probably OK. And you can compare two sound levels with it. But I don't think even an improved model is something I'd want to count on provide really accurate information.

error on ur site [message #42630 is a reply to message #42625] Wed, 08 October 2003 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
http://www.pispeakers.com/KSN1041.htm

hi wayne that doesnt seem to work
'
cheers!

Fixed! [message #42632 is a reply to message #42630] Wed, 08 October 2003 13:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for pointing that out, Mike. The file is fixed now.

Previous Topic: Wayne, 16 ohm One-Pi speaker?
Next Topic: crossover questions...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 20:50:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout