Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Theater 4s + Subwoofer: Fun!
Pi Theater 4s + Subwoofer: Fun! [message #42614] Sat, 04 October 2003 10:58 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master

I'm sitting here laughing out loud, listening to Mahler's Sixth on my Theater 4's, having just this morning installed a newly-completed Tempest subwoofer into my Theater 4 system.

I've been using the Theater 4's since midsummer with a pair of Welborne Labs Laurels (300Bs - c. 8W). The Laurels are beautiful amps, but they either roll off or lack the muscle to get the full bottom end out of Theater 4's (compared, for example, with my Assemblage ST-40). Casting about for my next project, I figured what the heck, I'd try a subwoofer and after searching around settled on the Tempest driver with Adire's 250W plate amp, downfiring in a sealed 21.5" box, the design right off Adire's site.

To make a long story short, the Tung oil finished drying and I hauled the finished box upstairs this morning, stuffed it, screwed in the plate amp and driver and fired 'er up.

What a hoot! The most surprising thing is that the greatest effect of the subwoofer isn't increased bass per se - though it's there in spades - but rather that it seems to allow the Theater 4's to do their beautiful thing even more effortlessly than before. Individual notes and instruments - a stray, haunting background flute - are more distinct than they were before. I can only guess that the Pi's are benefiting from the fact that the Laurels are no longer straining to power the drivers all the way down. I'd also say that the Pi's are playing louder, presumably for the same reasons, although it could be that the additional bass makes the total output seem subjectively louder.

My woodworking skills are pretty rough, but I tried a few nice touches: Cherry veneer from Constantine's, five coats of Tung oil, both driver and amp are attached to the box with machine screws in threaded inserts, so that they can be repeatedly removed without weakening the attachment.

I sometimes forget how much fun this hobby can be! Jimi's playing Voodoo Chile now and I'm laughing again.

Cool! [message #42615 is a reply to message #42614] Sat, 04 October 2003 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That sounds great! The Theater fours really benefit from subs, in spite of their size. They are really a full range speaker and don't quite have the deepest extension. With a lot of power, they can really rumble but having a nice pair of subs is what you need to get down deeply into the bottom octave.

Re: Pi Theater 4s + Subwoofer: Fun! [message #42669 is a reply to message #42614] Sat, 11 October 2003 13:18 Go to previous message
desertkd is currently offline  desertkd
Esquire
Bob - Did you use any type of crossover to remove the lows from the Laurel / Pi set-up?
Previous Topic: McCauley drivers
Next Topic: audiphile 3-way request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 10:23:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout