Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » MAF 2005...
MAF 2005... [message #42558] Wed, 24 September 2003 21:19 Go to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
Hi guys.
First off...I'd like to thank Mike Baker for putting together such a fine audiofest for us "midwesterners" to attend these past years. One aspect that I really enjoyed about MAF, was the laid back attitude of the whole thing. Everyone was just so darn cool. :)

Some of the things I've enjoyed at the previous MAF events.

There are a number of things I've enjoyed at the previous MAF events. While I love the DIY designs...they aren't the only reason I go. Sure...it's true that I enjoy seeing products and designs from a variety of different companies. These products ranged in prices starting off at next to nothing...and all the way up to products that you would need 60 months financing to afford. It's always fun to look ;)

Also...what I enjoy at this event is seeing the DIY designs. We've all certainly read about others projects, here on the web and in magazines. But what a great opportunity it is, to not only get to see these projects...but to listen to them as well! This is where the real fun is...talking to the DIY guys! If you pay attention to what they say...you may be able to pick up a few pointers. Of course, if your like me, you better bring a pencil and paper...or you WILL forget everything they told you.

Then...of course...you have the seminars. Don McRitchie, Larry Moore...the infamous Bill & Bill...among others. This is the place you could go to learn or share with some of the more knowledgeable people. Every one of them was eager to not only listen to what you had to say...but also to share what they have learned along the path of their travels in this audio world.

All this...and a laid back atmosphere where people were just having a good time talking...kicking back...listening to some tunes...and gawkin' at some awful nice audio equipment.

Thanks Mike Baker.

Unfortunatly...but understandably...It seems that Mike is going to take a well deserved break from hosting this event. I say unfortunate because I'd still like to have an event like this in the midwest. Sure, VSAC would be great to go to...but it's too far.

Well, Brian, of www.venushifi.com, has said he is interested in hosting the next MAF 2005. The event will be takin place a little bit closer to Brian, in Bloomington, Indiana. There are plenty of hotels, bars (with live music!) and restaurants. Did I mention the live music? ;)

What Brian is hoping for, is an event much like the previous MAF's. He still aims to have the same type of manufacturers come...plus a few others (he's got some real nice connections...you know. Being in the Biz and all). Another goal is to have more DIY'ers show up with their systems...sit back...show off the system...listen to some good tunes while ya B.S. with some buddies...whatever you choose to do while displaying your system for the rest of us. Because who knows...after they hear your system...they just may be displaying their own some day (thanks Beancounter ;) )

One area to expand on is vintage gear...maybe some more space given to the vintage crowd. Who knows, perhaps some vintage "swap tables" could even be arranged.

Much like the previous MAF's, the focus was high-efficiency speakers. This focus wouldn't change, but would continue to include consumer gear that is unique in one way or another. Sure, you and I may tend to gravitate to a certain "type" of system (like horns and high efficiency designs)...but there's a lot of really interesting "traditional" gear being produced nowadays, that tends to get overlooked by mainstream publications such as Stereophile.

Another aim that Brian has for MAF 2005 is more music for sale...with possibilities of having some nice vintage vinyl tables set up.

Also, the festivities may start on Friday instead of Saturday.

So, Why would Bloomington be a good choice? Bloomington is an ideal spot for a conference - given that Indiana University is ranked as a Research I institution and has some outstanding athletic programs, the hotel and conference facilities here are outstanding.

These are just some preliminary thoughts to get an idea how much interest is out there. If you are a vendor, manufacturer, dealer, DIY'er, music lover or audio hobbiest...please let us know if your interested.

Is there anything that you would just love to see at MAF 2005?

all questions and comments are VERY welcome.

lastly, I'd like to thank Brian for looking into the possibilities of keeping the MAF torch alive...thanks.

Thanks,
Dan
aka gonefishin

enjoy the music!

Re: MAF 2005... [message #42562 is a reply to message #42558] Thu, 25 September 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Indiana MAF sounds like a great idea. I would be willing to travel from Columbus, Ohio for that and think there are others who would travel also. And also Thanks to Mike Baker for the Lima MAF's!!!
Ron
(off topic) spkrman57...I've got a PM sent to you at... [message #42563 is a reply to message #42562] Thu, 25 September 2003 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
...AK. If you can send me your e-mail address...I got something for you.

thanks...take care>>>>>>>>>>

enjoy the music!

Re: MAF 2005... [message #42564 is a reply to message #42558] Thu, 25 September 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think a bunch of us from the Great Plains area are going to put something together too. I really enjoyed Baker's MAF but its a long trip and difficult for me to plan for and schedule in. Seems like there are events on each cost and up north, and the addition of a Great Plains Audiofest would round-out the geography. So I'm hoping to bring some of our good friends here next time.
Re: MAF 2005... [message #42570 is a reply to message #42564] Thu, 25 September 2003 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I*Love*Zipcord is currently offline  I*Love*Zipcord
Esquire
....and the hit's just keep on coming....
Re: MAF 2005... [message #42571 is a reply to message #42558] Thu, 25 September 2003 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Indiana is a fair distance for me but since Bill promised me some beer a six pack of glue (er wait...) how could I miss it.

VSAC is way too far. The north east is my area. I'm definatley looking for a place to show at next year though since there will not be a Lima.

Bill

Re: MAF 2005... [message #42573 is a reply to message #42571] Thu, 25 September 2003 20:32 Go to previous message
Baron
LoL...how could you miss what? The beer...or the glue? Just be sure you squeeze the beer and drink the glue! Wait...make that the other way around :P

now...now...be nice ;) hehe

as always...take care,
gonefishin

enjoy the music!

Previous Topic: carpet covered 4Pi
Next Topic: A couple questions about Pi-alignment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:45:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio