Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Flush mounting and diffraction
Flush mounting and diffraction [message #42422] Wed, 10 September 2003 02:41 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi all,

I'm just about ready to cut the speaker-holes for my new speakers. I'm still deciding if I should flush mount the drivers to reduce diffraction effects or not. Flush mounting it is more difficult, because I must get the router set properly etc, and doing it for the 2370 horn is also more a pain in the ass. But I'm just not sure weather or not it will make a difference. From what I know, the diffraction caused by non-flush mounted drivers is not anywhere near as much as cabinet edge diffraction, interaction between point sources, and other parallax issues etc.

I have the tools to flush mount, but its just a pain to do it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Adrian

Re: Flush mounting and diffraction [message #42423 is a reply to message #42422] Wed, 10 September 2003 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think you're right, that the amount of effect is pretty small. But then again, I think the aesthetics alone are sometimes worth it. It's a big effort that might not gain a huge acoustic difference "by the numbers," but since it is both aesthetically pleasant and a small improvement, that might make it worth doing for some cabinets. I guess it all depends on the style your going for.

So I wouldn't want to make the acoustics a main focus for flush mount routing because I don't think it makes that big of an impact. But it doesn't hurt, and in some cases, it really looks nice.

Re: Flush mounting and diffraction [message #42425 is a reply to message #42422] Wed, 10 September 2003 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What's your technique for flush mounting odd shapes like the 2370?

Any tips?

Thanks
Charlie

Re: Flush mounting and diffraction...and while we're on the subject...A Rant [message #42426 is a reply to message #42425] Wed, 10 September 2003 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Looks from the JBL site that the 2370 is like the CH-3, etc. Make the cut-out that just allows the flange to sit flat on the baffle. Then, using a rabbetting bit in the router, rout the rabbett that sets the front of the flange flush. You'll have to trim the 4 corners sqaure with a chisel. Pretty easy with the right bit and a few test cuts.
Also, the more I look at the cabinet Ing. Martinelli made with the recessed baffle, as well as the enclosure I'm doing for the 811B, I'm thinking all the BR speakers would look better and take a grill cloth better with the recessed baffle.
Anyone want to tell me that a 15" JBL or TAD woofer and High Db horns are going to be compromised by acoustically transparent air conditioner filter or Antique Electric Supply vintage cloth or open weave black jersey? That take-the-grills-off stuff is just for the wimpy 5 1/2" "Mewlers"!
It's not just that our HE speakers are big. They're boring. Check out what Garland did. Or the fellow that painted them Yellow and Red. Or, dare I say it, the double baffle on the woofer only on my 4Pi's. Or the combination of veneers and burls that Ing. Martinelli uses. These great huge boxes need some architectural interest. Or great paint schemes.
Black textured paint, black cloth, black components, yecch!!!

Eyes of the beholder [message #42427 is a reply to message #42426] Wed, 10 September 2003 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you 100% on the aesthetics thing. Garland's cabinets, yours, Ken's, Thomas's - Now those are really great looking speakers! I think at least half of the value of a good pair of speakers is the quality of build, and the beauty of the cabinetry.

Some say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. And I'm sure that's true. But I think most of us agree that we'd rather have speakers that we were proud to show than some old beaters, even if they both sound the same. Cost is an issue, but attractive finishes don't always have to be expensive. So I agree with you that it's wonderful to see fine craftsmanship in addition to good sound, particularly if they are to be used in the home.

Thanks for the info [message #42431 is a reply to message #42426] Thu, 11 September 2003 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
But I'm not sure about the architectural interest part. I’ve got two speakers in my living room 54" high, 30" wide and 26" deep, with a sub 8 feet tall. Now my wife is a saint, but if they weren’t blah black, I’ve got a feeling I would have found the precise limits of her saintliness.
Re: Flush mounting and diffraction [message #42439 is a reply to message #42423] Fri, 12 September 2003 09:31 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Wayne,

I'll have a think about it anyway. It sounds like asthetically is where the real improvements are. When I come to cut the holes, I'll see how difficult it is and hopefully I'll put the effort in to flush mount them anyways.

Thanks.
Adrian

Previous Topic: Great Plains Audio Club Meeting
Next Topic: SP12
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 10:19:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers