Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » measurement questions
measurement questions [message #42280] Tue, 26 August 2003 12:06 Go to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
Hi Wayne,

Some questions regarding measuring speaker parameters:

1. "So simply measure the DC resistance of the driver with an ohmmeter, and use the impedance found when measuring the driver's resonant frequency for Zmax." I'm missing something here. All the tests until this point seem to give frequencies, not impedances. How do I determine the impedances Zmax and Zmin?

2. It seems that the scope is used to determine highest voltage and .707 times that. Can I just use a voltmeter instead?

3. When taking these measurements, is there a way to determine the speaker sensitivity? Should I just use an SPL while running the 1 volt RMS with the resistor? Will sensitivity change unequally for the drivers due to their different ensclosure volumes?

TIA

measurement answers [message #42281 is a reply to message #42280] Tue, 26 August 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What we're looking for are impedance values at specific frequencies. So, for example, DC resistance is impedance at 0Hz and Zmax is impedance at the resonant frequency. Zmax is described by a frequency and an impedance. If you measure voltage with a scope, you'll see peak values and can find RMS by multiplying by 0.707. If you measure with a DVM, you'll read RMS values and can calculate peak by dividing by 0.707. As for SPL, sure, you can put a microphone 1 meter away and supply a 2.83v test signal to find the 2.83v/M level, or whatever levels you wish. But below 100Hz, the cabinet will have a lot of influence so keep that in mind. For that matter, so will the room unless you do the acoustic measurements outdoors.

Re: measurement answers [message #42282 is a reply to message #42281] Tue, 26 August 2003 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I guess I'm a bit thick.

"What we're looking for are impedance values at specific frequencies. So, for example, DC resistance is impedance at 0Hz and Zmax is impedance at the resonant frequency. Zmax is described by a frequency and an impedance."

OK, I can determine the frequency but how do I find the impedance?

Re: measurement answers [message #42283 is a reply to message #42282] Tue, 26 August 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Impedance can be found by measuring the voltage across the speaker motor and calculating the current through the circuit. This reactive circuit (inductance and resistance) forms a voltage divider, so you can use Ohms law and reactive circuit formulas to determine the impedance of the motor. Please see the Crossover Electronics 101 handout for these formulas and more information.

it's Greek to me [message #42284 is a reply to message #42283] Tue, 26 August 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hey, I'm just a hobbyist trying to build a speaker.

"Impedance can be found by measuring the voltage across the speaker motor and calculating the current through the circuit."

X = 2πFL for inductive circuits. I assume I find resonance (and from this paper I understand that resonance is where inductive reactance and capacitive reactance are equal), then plug the values into that formula. But I don't know the inductance. Furthermore, from I=E/Z, we can derive Z=E/I. Fine. The signal generator I ordered puts out 1.2V RMS. I don't know the current it puts out.

I'm to put a 10 ohm resistor in series with the speaker coil. Am I to break the circuit at Zmax and Zmin and measure current draw with a milliameter?

Do I then measure voltage drop across the coil once I reconnect the circuit?

"This reactive circuit (inductance and resistance) forms a voltage divider, so you can use Ohms law and reactive circuit formulas to determine the impedance of the motor."

We put the resistor in series with the coil. I don't understand how this is a voltage divider. Where are we dropping the divider to ground?

These questions certainly must seem naive to you, but again, I'm a hobbyist who just wants to build a speaker.

Re: it's Greek to me [message #42285 is a reply to message #42284] Tue, 26 August 2003 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can find inductance by rearranging the inductive reactance formula, X = 2πFL. Measure the voltage across the resistor and find the current through the circuit using Ohm's law, I = E/R. Since it's a series circuit, that will tell you the current through the voice coil. Now measure the voltage across the voice coil at whatever frequency you are interested in. Don't just assume it is the difference between the source voltage and the resistor's voltage drop - it won't be. The coil and resistor are out of phase, so their voltage drops don't equal like in circuits with pure resistance. After finding the voltage across the voice coil and the current flowing through it, you can find its impedance using Ohm's law, Z = E/I. Substitute Z (impedance) for X (inductive reactance) and rearrange the formula to find inductance, L = 1/2πF.

Thanks [message #42286 is a reply to message #42285] Tue, 26 August 2003 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
It looks possible for me now.

I'll take it a step at a time.

Thanks.

Driver Quality [message #42287 is a reply to message #42285] Tue, 26 August 2003 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
off topic-
shiva,tempest,XLS,dpl12 compared on this site.

somehow the DPL looks better than shiva i think..

are these tests good enough to warrant calling the DPL12 lower distortion?

at moment im designing my front chamber /horn expansion twist-change in dimension.>

if the DPL12 is less distortion,is it worth choosing it instead of shiva? if i could even order it.
_Mike

Re: Thanks [message #42288 is a reply to message #42286] Wed, 27 August 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gabriel is currently offline  Gabriel
Baron
Hi,
Please see this link, maybe it can help you out with your measurement, and just the information, all the voltage that used in this link is AC, so you can use AC voltmeter:
http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm

Regards,
Gabriel

Thank you Gabriel [message #42292 is a reply to message #42288] Wed, 27 August 2003 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
I find the information provided on the site easy to understand. It certainly helps.
Previous Topic: Interpreting speaker response curves
Next Topic: Back from the Vet and de-Wormed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:18:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout