Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cabinet Finishing
Cabinet Finishing [message #42099] Mon, 04 August 2003 16:02 Go to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
I am starting to put together the materials I need for Pi Theater 4 speakers. I have a couple of questions about the cabinets. I plan on using 3/4" MDF. I was considering finishing the cabinets with cherry veneer to match my room. However, I'm not sure I want to spend the time to veneer them myself (plus I have never done it). The pre-veneered MDF is $90 per 4X8 sheet, and that's a little more than I want to spend.
I saw some cherry vinyl laminate at Parts Express that was really cheap. Has anyone used vinyl laminate on their cabinets? How does it look? Would it be better for me to buy the pre-veneered MDF or maybe try to veneer the raw MDF myself? Any suggestions?
Re: Cabinet Finishing [message #42101 is a reply to message #42099] Mon, 04 August 2003 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
Ive used the Partsexpress veneer before on a pair of speakers. It looks alright I suppose, but If you want something really nice looking, I would say to go with the veneer.

Interestingly enough, my friend and I are finishing our speakers this week, (I have the theater 3pis and he has the theater 4pis) and we are using 1/4" thick birch plywood. Hopefully it will turn out ok, and we will post pictures when we finish.

Re: Cabinet Finishing & Calling Epstein [message #42103 is a reply to message #42099] Mon, 04 August 2003 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Newsjeff,

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. the Vinyl laminate may be nice for what it is, but what it is is fancy contact paper- not veneer by any stretch of the imagination. I always thought the term "photo laminate" was brilliant marketing! May be good to save hassle, but it's just not going to compare to a real wood veneer that's decently finished, IMHO. Just a question of much you want to do... The pre-veneered wood may be a good compromise if it's good quality.

Also, cherry (the wood, not the picture of the wood) has some special considerations to get a nice finish- not too big a deal. Maybe Bill Epstein or one of the others who knows can fill you in.

Good luck with the project!

Matts

Re: Epstein's indisposed [message #42104 is a reply to message #42099] Mon, 04 August 2003 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey newsjeff, shpeaking on behalf of hepstein, I've heard'm shay that it takes about 4 5X5 sheets of Baltic/Finnish/Rooshian Birch ply to make the Theeter 4'sh. A friendly cabinet shop would charge you maybe $50 a sheet and just add them to their regular order.Maybe you offer to pay for cutting the panels and a case of Longnecks, ya' know? Yellow pages is full of little cabinet guys and liquor stores, too.
Birch has a grain similar to cherry if you've had enough to drink. The 11 or 13 ply's make edges good looking enough that you shouldn't have to band'm.
Just build'm and finish'm with a cherry stain and BOILA!
Ya get into trubble while ya build, get aholt a Martinelli, why don't ya.
Re: Epstein's indisposed [message #42105 is a reply to message #42104] Mon, 04 August 2003 19:06 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great advice, my friend, given with just a splash of soda water and lime.

Previous Topic: Slighty loopy OT car stereo question
Next Topic: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 17:11:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout