Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Slighty loopy OT car stereo question
Slighty loopy OT car stereo question [message #42079] Sat, 02 August 2003 05:23 Go to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
My girlfriend's son has just stepped up from an Integra to a Honda Accord, and is intent on putting a tricked out sound system in it. I was toying with the idea of designing a subwoofer to fit some (goodly) portion of the trunk, built of .75in ply and either ported or driving through the pass through in the center of the back seat. I've gotta believe there are better solutions than the omnipresent Kicker box, and I thought one or some of you guys might have tried such a thing, or would have some thoughts on it.

Also, any thoughts on driver choice, given the climate extremes car components must endure?

I was pushing the idea of a tube amp, but all I got were blank looks. ;-) Kidding! He did ask for my help after hearing the 4 Pi Audiophile Edition beasts in the shop, though . . .

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Cool car speakers [message #42081 is a reply to message #42079] Sat, 02 August 2003 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's all about cost and space. If money is no option and you've got some room to work with, I'd use JBL Pro drivers. JBL Pro 15" woofers tend to work well in 2.5ft3 to 5ft3 boxes. If you've got a little less money to work with, maybe run Eminence pro stuff, like the Omega 15's. The 12's need a little less space - whether JBL or Eminence - so that's a good option if the boxes must be smaller. And there are some really killer little Seas woofers we've discussed here that work well in a third of a cubic foot. So it's really a matter of budget and space, and I expect you'd be really impressed with any of these options.

Re: Slighty loopy OT car stereo question [message #42082 is a reply to message #42079] Sat, 02 August 2003 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'd recommend either something from www.adireaudio.com or www.edesignaudio.com. They are awesome drivers and Elemental Designs makes some great amps, too.

if you want further feedback on car audio stuff, go to www.soundillusions.net , that is my car audio hang out. You can also e-mail me if you want to, as car audio is my specialty.

atomic-fusion@rogers.com

Adam

Re: Don't forget about the Kilomax! [message #42100 is a reply to message #42081] Mon, 04 August 2003 16:19 Go to previous message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
If you have plenty of space, I bet that 18" Kilomax woofer would POUND inside of your car :-D

In a car it would be unecessary unless you are looking for sheer SPL levels though.

Previous Topic: Theater 7 Pi Plans, Please.
Next Topic: Cabinet Finishing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 19:32:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout