Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hey
Hey [message #41973] Sun, 20 July 2003 10:06 Go to next message
Brant is currently offline  Brant
Esquire
I currently have an amp (I know how to power it) it is a car stereo amp. I m trying to hook up a car subwoofer to my receiver. I hooked the L+ and the R- to the subwoofer on the bridge and hooked the high input to the hifis on the reciever. But all that comes out is little bass and lyrics. I want the subwoofer strictly for bass so it gets a lot of power. any ideas? Also does anyone have any extra car audio stuff?? (subwoofers, amps, etc!) I need stuff for my car!!!!

Thanks

Re: Hey [message #41974 is a reply to message #41973] Sun, 20 July 2003 11:00 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure I understand how you've described your connection, but I can tell you what I would do to connect a single subwoofer to a stereo system. I wouldn't want to sum the outputs of the subwoofer amp by connecting the speaker to the L+ and R- terminals because some amps don't work well with this kind of load. Instead, I'd do the summing at the preamp level.

Many preamps have subwoofer outputs, and that would be the easiest and best way to hookup. Just plug in the subwoofer amp's input to the preamp's subwoofer output and set the crossover frequency. Keep it to 100Hz or under if you can, depending on whether your main speakers will go down to 100Hz.

If your receiever's preamp doesn't have a subwoofer output, then you'll need a summing amp and a low-pass filter. The left and right channels are combined in the summing amp and the low-pass filter forms the subwoofer crossover, sending only low frequencies into the subwoofer amp.

Actually, the "summing amp" doesn't need to be an amp at all. Just a mechanism to combine the two (left and right) signals to present to the subwoofer amp while keeping them isolated (not shorted together) at the preamp's output. This can be done with a couple of resistors - about 5k or 10k would be fine - having one end of each of the resistors tied together for the common subwoofer output and the other end conected to each of the inputs, right and left. This can then be connected to a summing amplifier, but it can also be connected directly to your subwoofer amplifier in most cases.

Previous Topic: Cabinet construction
Next Topic: This is what happens when you put 2 Delta Pro's, etc,etc...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:55:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio