Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater 4 Pi Update
Theater 4 Pi Update [message #41965] Sat, 19 July 2003 02:35 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
It was a race against time, but I just made it. I'm hosting my annual office party today and completed -- except for finishing -- my Theater 4s yesterday. Heavy-duty break-in today!

Features include all-MDF; biscuit and yellow glue joinery, no screws (love them biscuits!); two-layer (1 1/2") front baffle; two "window frame" (if that's the right term) internal supports, one immediately above and the other immediately below the woofer cutout. Although I've seen some complaints about the accuracy of the Jasper Jig, mine worked flawlessly, both for the recess around the driver and the driver cutout itself. Vent cutout is 4 1/2", with a piece of PVC obtained from Madisound (4" internal diameter)inserted, which also fits like a glove. (In this way I can experiment with port length.) I made the cutout for the tweeter horn with a jig saw.

Since I asked about screwing in the drivers earlier -- and thanks for all your advice -- I'll report what I did. Tee nuts just weren't grabbing me (pun intented). I used hex "knife-thread" inserts from McMaster-Carr, 10-24 for the tweeter (there's nothing like overkill), 1/4-20 for the woofer, then corresponding 10-24 machine screws and 1/4-20 hex-head bolts. Although the inserts have collars, they screw flush into the MDF. Seem solid as a rock.

The crossovers will be external. I've been experimenting making some nice box joints, and the crossovers will ultimately go in some to-be-constructed wooden boxes. For the moment, they'll flop on the floor.

After a line of storms went through late yesterday (knocking out the power shortly after glue-up was completed (!!) until about 3 am), we're scheduled to have beautiful weather today in NW NJ -- perfect for a pool party.

My only remaining question (other than how to barbecue for 60) is: How on Earth do I get these things out of the garage? They weigh a ton!

Wish me luck!

Bob

Re: Theater 4 Pi Update [message #41967 is a reply to message #41965] Sat, 19 July 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
I use a hand truck to move around the 2Pi Towers that I build. I used the hand truck even in the later stages of construction and after moving them around to different rooms.

You just need to take a bit of care so you don't scratch or ding the wood or finish.

I hope you have one (hand truck), if not they can be obtained at the hardware warehouse store for about $30.00 and you will find other uses for it in the future.

Re: Theater 4 Pi Update [message #41969 is a reply to message #41965] Sat, 19 July 2003 12:22 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great news - Please post pics of your speakers when you have time.

And talkin' about that BBQ makes me hungry! Good luck with the party!

Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower XOver
Next Topic: There's just something about wheels
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 21:18:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout