Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio 2 coaxial pic
Studio 2 coaxial pic [message #41953] Fri, 18 July 2003 03:58 Go to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
This mod goes a long way to making the speaker disappear and is easy and cheap to do. The Alpha has a hole through the center that's a perfect dowel size.
I haven't tried the orange-juicer or any of the rectangular horns yet, but I'll get to it later in the season. Too nice outside to spend much time in the shop (cellar).
The image didn't come up when I previewed this post, but copy-and-paste in the browser worked OK. Hope you can see it.

http://community.webshots.com/s/image2/4/79/76/81747976aHBWTK_ph.jpg

John

Another shot [message #41954 is a reply to message #41953] Fri, 18 July 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
This one shows the components apart.

The box is 2.2 cu ft, 4" dia port 7.5" long for 40 hz tuning after subtracting for bracing, port, and driver.

http://community.webshots.com/s/image5/4/78/84/81747884yOCMmP_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/s/image5/6/16/31/81761631SRHOBX_ph.jpg

Two more wet sand and poly coats and they're ready! I didn't edge-band the plywood edges of the tops and bottoms and regret it already - maybe fix it later.

John

Re: Another shot [message #41955 is a reply to message #41954] Fri, 18 July 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
I briefly owned a pair of Altec 604D coax 12". Swapped them to a reseller for some PA stuff. They had the same basic idea, with an HF compression driver on the back of the magnet. Anyway, they used a light guage felt between the LF cone and the throat of the HF lens/horn. I would suggest you crawl under the bed and snip some of that scrim stuff, (or ask someone that sews) to make some fexible covers, and glue them between the pieces. That way, you are keeping dust/dirt/scuzz out of the voice coil to magnet area. I'm gonna try this idea with some junky 12" 4 ohm car subs I have laying around. They have a vented magnet- bet it goes all the way thru.

Larry

Re: Studio 2 coaxial pic [message #41957 is a reply to message #41953] Fri, 18 July 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
I guess this will be the first mention of the next New England Bot Pi meet (sometime in September).

Ya gonna bring these babies to "The Pad"? Looking very interesting!

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Re: Another shot [message #41959 is a reply to message #41954] Fri, 18 July 2003 10:04 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! The box looks great. And the coaxial arrangement is interesting too. Looks like the tweeter's cone is pretty well centered with the woofer's cone both axially and diametrically. This should really get the attention of the single driver and coax driver enthusiasts.

Previous Topic: Studio 2 Pi for sale
Next Topic: impedance compensation,
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 23:12:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout