Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone built the Studio 2 as a coaxial?
Anyone built the Studio 2 as a coaxial? [message #41929] Tue, 15 July 2003 08:51 Go to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I'm noodling with it myself and wonder if anybody else has gotten it up and running. I cut off the tweeter flange, ground off most of the terminal tabs and hot-glued it to a dowel that I turned to fit in the hole that goes through the Alpha 10. 24 ga. solid wires run through a hole through the center of the dowel, right out the back of the Alpha. The box is a little larger than stock, at 2 cu ft, with a 4" id port about 4.5" long. Might be longer, I forget the tuning now.

I think they sound great, a little more focussed than stock, which was a nice punchy design to begin with.

Photos soon as I can.

John

That's pretty cool! [message #41933 is a reply to message #41929] Tue, 15 July 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's pretty cool - I'm anxious to see your pictures. The image in my mind is like what I see in the Hammer 12's. Kind of a suspended pod for the tweeter.

I was watching the show on television last night about the custom Harley shop. Actually, there are a few of those shows these days, but anyway I was thinkin' how cool it would be to start making all sorts of custom speakers. Many of you guys already do that, and Bill has been making some custom stuff for me.

I was also thinking about artistic designs with interesting shapes. Some of the best woodworking I've ever seen has been right here from the guys on the forum. Absolutely excellent stuff. And it just crossed my mind that having some interesting concepts and shapes might be a nice touch too.

Tuning and configuring the system from an engineering standpoint is easy. It's probably one of the easiest machines to work with - Just a few linear motors, diaphragms and a handful of passive electrical parts. But the real challenge is having something that is aesthetically pleasing and interesting, and doing it in a system that is also engineered properly so that it is tuned right and configured well.

We want 'em to sound great and to look great too!

I guess I got off track a little bit, but your tweeter pod made me think about the Harley shop and custom jobs. I'm anxious to see pics!

It's like this... [message #41941 is a reply to message #41933] Wed, 16 July 2003 06:27 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
1. Cut the dust cap out of the Alpha.

2. Hold the 1038 in the center of the Alpha's cone, as far in as you can before hitting the voice coil former.

That's pretty much what it looks like. No visible wires or armature. The tweeter is right where a phase plug would go, and it's on a dowel that can be adjusted forward and back. Trimming off the 1038's mounting flange reduces its diameter considerably.

I agree with your thoughts on artistic designs and shapes. The standard "Golden Ratio" design with grill cover holds the most appeal for my wife (my go-by for just about everything), but I think its because they're recognizable and unobtrusive. Designs that head off into "Art" territory become subject to the rules of that realm, and it's no longer enough to have workmanlike corners and a smooth finish. The concept itself is no longer a given, and neither is the execution. I admire the designs that have taken that leap.

If I can't post the photos I'll email them to you.

John

Previous Topic: more horns
Next Topic: Damping
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 13:52:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers