Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater 4 Pi Driver Screws
Theater 4 Pi Driver Screws [message #41925] Tue, 15 July 2003 03:20 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I'm getting close enough that I was thinking about how to attach the drivers to the front baffle. No. 8 screws look about right for the tweeter horn, but the attachment holes on the LF driver are LARGE. Looks like No. 10 or even 1/4 -- I didn't get a chance to measure. What size screws has everyone used on the LF?

I'm also thinking about threaded inserts plus machine screws, so I don't weaken the MDF if I need to take the drivers in and out (don't plan to!). Any downside?

Thanks.

Re: Theater 4 Pi Driver Screws [message #41926 is a reply to message #41925] Tue, 15 July 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
I use 1/4 inch hex head bolts with t-nuts. I mix some jb-weld and use it to seat the t-nut, and to "seal" around the outside of the t-nut flange. I draw the t-nut in using a bolt and washer (no hammering). This works well for me on the PA cabinets. I mount the driver with the 1/4 inch bolts and a washer under the head.

Larry Acklin

Re: Theater 4 Pi Driver Screws [message #41927 is a reply to message #41925] Tue, 15 July 2003 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I've used the inserts and they work well. I got some brass ones that have wood thread on the outside, machine thread on the inside, and are slotted on the outside edge so you use a screwdriver to put them in. got some black hex-head screws with a narrower head that fit into the channel around the driver for clean look.
Re: Theater 4 Pi Driver Screws [message #41931 is a reply to message #41925] Tue, 15 July 2003 09:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like using T-Nuts for mounting the heavy stuff and self-tapping screws for lighter duty. And when I say "lighter duty," that includes most of the drivers that weigh less than about 25 pounds. The biggest advantage to T-Nuts over pans screws is that they won't weaken or strip over time with repeated assembly and disassembly. If you aren't much of a "tweaker" and don't plan to go inside them often, then the self-tapping pan screws will be just fine.

Also, there's a link to a big online fasterner distributor in the post called "Black pan screws for mounting small drivers." If you can't find what you want at the local hardware store, this place will certainly have what you need.

Previous Topic: A little surprise for ya Wayne...
Next Topic: BAH stupid JBL recones!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 20:00:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout