Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » PSD 2002 modifications
PSD 2002 modifications [message #41865] Thu, 10 July 2003 08:24 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey guys,

I had a bit of an experiment I wanted some comments on... I have owned a lot of PSD 2002's and one thing that has always irked me about them is that rear chamber. It's tiny and it's reflective. I can only imagine how many frequencies are being bounced around in that rear chamber, causing smearing, frequency response spikes and who knows what else.

Would there be any positive results from building a damping chamber onto the rear of PSD-2002's to obsorbe and diffuse the rear waves from the compression diaphram? My car horn compression drivers have such a chamber on them and it seems to work pretty well... thoughts?

Adam

Re: PSD 2002 modifications [message #41869 is a reply to message #41865] Thu, 10 July 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd fire this question off to the folks at Eminence. You'd be surprised how unassuming they are and how willing they are to discuss matters like these. For example, I asked about ferrofluid treatment of the PSD2002 and they told me that the stuff evaporated but that they had, in fact, done comparitive testing of their drivers with and without ferrofluid.

So they may very well have measured a PSD2002 (or an earlier model) with the back cover removed to see how much effect there is. And honestly, I would expect this from them in order to confirm the response with the system having its specific back chamber volume.

If you do write to them, I encourage you to tell us what they say.

Huh? [message #41873 is a reply to message #41869] Thu, 10 July 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Quote:

"..I asked about ferrofluid treatment of the PSD2002 and they told me that the stuff evaporated.."

Argh! I need to check my old, trusted D28's now...

Re: PSD 2002 modifications [message #41874 is a reply to message #41869] Thu, 10 July 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks dude... I'll shoot them an e-mail now.

Adam

Ferrofluid [message #41875 is a reply to message #41873] Thu, 10 July 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The issue with the PSD2002's is that the areas around the voice coil aren't sealed. Following is the reply made by an Eminence designer when asked specifically about using ferrofluid with their PSD2002 compression driver:

"We have experimented with FerroFluid many times and always come to the same conclusions: it is not for us. It has some advantages, but we feel the disadvantages outweigh them. It does help raise the power handling a bit, but not dramatically. The downsides are it is messy, it is expensive, and it evaporates over time turning into a thick sludge. Not a pretty thing."

Reply from Eminence [message #41879 is a reply to message #41869] Thu, 10 July 2003 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"Adam,

According to one of our design engineers, in theory, the back volume should change the response, but our experiments have indicated that doubling or tripling this volume made little difference in the response. If you choose to pursue this, we would, of course, be interested in any results confirming or contradicting this...

Charlotte"

I will probably build a test unit. It's too bad I don't have a concrete way of measuring it.

Adam

Thx Wayne [message #41880 is a reply to message #41875] Thu, 10 July 2003 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I guess it's the lack of sealing that makes it possible for the fluid to evaporate when the unit is driven hard - the D28's aren't build that way! :-)
rear chamber access [message #41881 is a reply to message #41879] Thu, 10 July 2003 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Adam,
I have been wanting to experiment here as well. I assume from looking at the diaphragms (and the sturdy glue around the surround) that the only rear chamber access is to carefully cut off the back cap, leaving enough cylinder to attach the new chamber. If you know, or discover a cleaner and easier method, please ellaborate. (not that it would be bad that way, just pondering the best approach)
Thanks,
Thomas F.
Re: rear chamber access [message #41882 is a reply to message #41881] Thu, 10 July 2003 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I haven't messed with it much yet, but it occurs to me that a soldering iron with a melting tip would be good approach. Not as difficult to handle, probably give you a cleaner edge or as clean and if you happened to make contact with the diaphram by accident, you wouldn't do any damage as long as you didn't hold it there for a long time... Whereas with a cutting blade or whatever, you're screwed!!

Just a thought.

Adam

and a good thought at that. [message #41883 is a reply to message #41882] Thu, 10 July 2003 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Yeah, that sounds good to me. I have a couple extra 'phrams so...
Thanks,
Thomas
Previous Topic: super tweeter for Pi 4 T
Next Topic: JBL2226H+MAC40s+large room=Kick ass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 20:15:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers