Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Crossover values for Drivers with different Impedance??
Crossover values for Drivers with different Impedance?? [message #41828] Mon, 07 July 2003 21:48 Go to next message
longdrive55 is currently offline  longdrive55
Esquire
All,

I'm just starting my journey into using horn speakers. I've got a pair of Altec 288-16K CD's and Altec 416-8B woofers that I'm building a speaker pair from.

Thanks to Wayne, I've been learning a lot about crossovers lately (Crossover 101 thread) and investigating his Pi passive crossovers. I haven't got all the math figured out just yet and wondered if anyone can help me understand how to tweak component values if one driver is at a higher impedance than another (e.g. my 16 ohm CD and 8 ohm woofer).

Do I just parallel a 16 ohm resistor across the compression driver input for an 8 ohm load to match the woofer? Coversely, I guess I could run an 8 ohm resistor in series with the input of the woofer to bring it up to the same level impedance as the CD (depending on what impedance I need for the crossover circuit to work). Would either of these work? Is there a better way to do this? Am I asking for trouble in using drivers with dissimilar impedance?

Finally, what impedance value do the Pi crossovers assume for their respective drivers?

Thanks for any help,

Erik

Re: are your 288's a matched pair? [message #41831 is a reply to message #41828] Tue, 08 July 2003 05:23 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
If they are like most of the "pairs" of altec drivers I've seen, the diaphrams will not even be from the same years, sometimes not even the same part #!? With used CD's, I prefer to replace the 'phrams with KNOWN good oem ones from Bill at Great Plains(source for Iconics production parts). And of course, you would obtain the CORRECT 8 ohm ones:) A benefit of new 'phrams will be that the freq. response characteristics on the left and right will be much closer to each other.

Yes, you could add a resistor to either driver to make the Z's the same, but a series R to the woofer will KILL your amplifier damping ability and throw away 1/2 the LF energy as HEAT, while a shunt resistor will merely drop the HF driver by 3dB while blowing off 1/2 the HF energy. INEFFICIENT as hell. And a waste of good components. You can always rework the HF crossover values for the 16 ohm HF Z, why exactly is THAT such a forbidding prospect in the first place? Sam

Previous Topic: 4 Pi Construction Question
Next Topic: How well does baltic birch finish?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 28 12:58:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio