Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » TAD-JBL-Pi 3-way update
TAD-JBL-Pi 3-way update [message #41764] Tue, 01 July 2003 06:42 Go to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
After chipping back an overfilled solder connection, I've finally heard my TAD/JBL-Pi-whatevers, (Wayne - pls assign this 3 way a model name so I know what the heck to call it!), using just the passive crossover, instead of some funky "cheat/work-around".

They're sounding very, very good indeed. I've pulled the tweeter and JBL mid levels down to blend more naturally with the TAD 1602, and as Garland observed when he swung down this way last Thursday, "they do a nice job of disappearing." It struck me funny at the time since they present a 20wx40h face to the listener, plus Bill M's maple horns above that, and it's hard to imagine something that big disappearing. Kinda like "ignore the polka dotted elephant in the corner".

Speaking of Martinelli's Maple Marvels, an Avant Garde owner was in the other day and was ogling those horns, just based on their appearance. I prefer wood over automotive plastic myself! ;-)
Keep your ears and your mind open.

Indeed , it's like they aint even there! [message #41771 is a reply to message #41764] Tue, 01 July 2003 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Can't think of anything to improve them other than to possibly up-grade all the components in the crossover to boutique status but that is no guarantee of anything. It's fun to do, however, if the $$ allow, eh? And then, the Tads are good enough to reveal the character of everything that is feed to and through em! Dave, did you ever play around with the other port tubes?

G.

P.S. 45 rpm rules!

Re: TAD-JBL-Pi 3-way update [message #41773 is a reply to message #41764] Tue, 01 July 2003 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
Hi DRCope...I'm curious...what kinda cross-overs are you using.

I'm also using TAD woofers, 1601a's...and I was surprised how well they "blend" with the midhorn.

Have you heard the Avant Garde's? They do have great presentation of the music...but other aspects are just a bit "off" to me. Defiantly worth a listen though.

Take care>>>>>>>

enjoy the music!

Re: TAD-JBL-Pi 3-way update [message #41779 is a reply to message #41773] Wed, 02 July 2003 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I'm using Wayne's Pi 3-way passive. I've tossed all the lamp cord in favor of 26g silver to the tweet and mid and Audio Note AN-D to the woofer. I've also subbed in 8uf PIO caps in the tweeter portion, .33uf AN copper foil caps in the compensation network and 68uf Black Gate caps in the woofer section.

I've heard a couple different Avant Gardes under show conditions. Wild, but a little bit more "hi-fi" than I'd like ideally. One of these days I'll get to hear a pair in a home setting.

Re: TAD-JBL-Pi 3-way update [message #41785 is a reply to message #41779] Wed, 02 July 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Dave, did you have all that stuff in there last Thurs? Whatever- sounded great!

G.

Re: TAD-JBL-Pi 3-way update [message #41786 is a reply to message #41785] Wed, 02 July 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yup. The 68uf caps in the woofer section had just gone in the afternoon before, and being Black Gates, will probably be breaking in till Thanksgiving. (Actually, they're the wrong series for speaker xo's, but they're the right value, so in they went!)

Hey Wayne, what value should be in there, given that the mid is 16 ohms, not 8? I suspect something more like 33uf, but I'm guessing, as usual. If I'm going to buy the right series Black Gates, I'd like to get the values right, too.

I still have a 22uf cap to upgrade, and then maybe the coils. (What are the values on the three coils, BTW?)

I think I'd like to split the xo into two pieces so I can drive the bottom with a larger amp, and I'm not sure how that will affect the parts complement, if at all.

From the "just can't ever let things be" files . . . "

Re: TAD-JBL-Pi 3-way update [message #41787 is a reply to message #41786] Wed, 02 July 2003 10:19 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are a different configuration options for the π three-way crossover, just like there is for the two-ways. The tweeter section is exactly the same as the two-way network, but the woofer and mid is (obviously) different. Some woofers are run with Zobels, others without. Same with the mids. Yours has only an inductor in series with the mids, so no Zobel is necessary and there is therefore no capacitor in the midrange circuit at all. The woofer has a shunt capacitor and requires a Zobel, also having a shunt capacitor. These values chosen are appropriate for the TAD 1602, which comes with a spec sheet, by the way.

Previous Topic: Audibility of Phase
Next Topic: Help on making driver measurements, please?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 04:48:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio