Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How well does baltic birch finish?
How well does baltic birch finish? [message #41747] Sun, 29 June 2003 14:35 Go to next message
massappeal129 is currently offline  massappeal129
Esquire
Does baltic birch ply finish well? I read somewhere that it didn't as well as other types of wood.

Is there anywhere where I could see how it looks with some different finishes? Has anyone made their speakers out of baltic birch?

Thanks.

Re: How well does baltic birch finish? [message #41752 is a reply to message #41747] Mon, 30 June 2003 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I made some out of birch plywood- I did a test strip with a few stains on it and a natural oil finish. went with the natural oil finish- used a Tried & True linseed oil w/ varnish and topcoat with the beeswax version, and they look great. It's a light-colored finish. The stains looked a little dull and smeared on the test strip, and that's the knock on birch, supposedly. Good luck!
Re: Natural with Varnish for a warm look [message #41753 is a reply to message #41747] Mon, 30 June 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

As Matts describes Birch does not always take stain as well as you would like. I should first say that a lot of people choose birch and finish it naturally because they are looking for a light tone wood.

Oil base stains will be problematic on birch since they are penetrating by nature. The Gel Stains, are a topical treatment much more so than a penetrating stain. This will work much better for a hard tight grained wood like birch or maple. If you have a high figure wood then you want a penetrating stain so that it does in fact penetrate the figure unevenly, this will accentuate the figure content dramatically.

The are NGR stains and dyes. (non grain raising) These are generally more of a professional group because the application of an NGR takes a little practice. Usually an alcohol base where the open time is nil. This allows you almost no time for overlapping in a wipe method to be wiped off. This kind of stain is better to be sprayed on where an even coat can be applied. Also more prevalent in furniture finishing would be to spray dye's and pigments between coats of finish. This is commonly called a toner when we do this.

I think Bill Epstein has some good tricks for getting an even color coat with NGR's. I finish birch naturally or spray a toner for best results.

Bill

Re: How well does baltic birch finish? [message #41852 is a reply to message #41747] Wed, 09 July 2003 12:27 Go to previous message
garyhope is currently offline  garyhope
Esquire
I'm a furniture designer and artist and have used Baltic birch a lot for various furniture pieces.

Birch doesn't take some stains evenly because of the variation in grain, hardness and softness of some of the wood or plys. It depends on the color or stain. It does take a translucent white stain pretty well which gives you a nice blond color. You can brush the stain on with a foam brush and then wipe it down with a rag before sanding and sealing and finishing with a clear or satin coat. You could try ash plywood if you want a nice even finish color, but it's probably more expensive per sheet.

Previous Topic: Crossover values for Drivers with different Impedance??
Next Topic: Diffraction and Baffle Spacing - critic this design?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 13:39:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio