Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Do the 4 Pi stage series need stands?
Do the 4 Pi stage series need stands? [message #41709] Thu, 26 June 2003 18:20 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, I noticed that this version is only 26 inches high, does it require any sort of stand, or is it designed to sit on the floor?
Thanks in advance,
Russellc
Re: 4 Pi stage series placement [message #41711 is a reply to message #41709] Thu, 26 June 2003 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right - the Professional, Stage and Premium Series four π speakers aren't very tall. Personally, I like them on the floor with little slanted risers that angle them up a bit. This keeps them low enough that floor bounce isn't a problem, and they're just about right for seated listening. But if there is anything in the way, obviously that won't work and so it would be good to put them up on something. If using a couple subs, this is fine though because the additional sound sources tends to smooth out the response anomalies from room modes and reflections in the bass/midbass range.

Re: Do the 4 Pi stage series need stands? [message #41712 is a reply to message #41709] Thu, 26 June 2003 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm going to jump in with my opinion. In my house I like the 4 pi pro/stage angled back a little or on a stand. At Replay's house they sound fantastic sitting on the floor.

So what I really mean is they sound great either way. I think Wayne has some technical reasons they could be better one way or the other.

Bill

Re: Do the 4 Pi stage series need stands? [message #41720 is a reply to message #41712] Fri, 27 June 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the reply Bill, it is really a tribute to the four Pi that one as horn savey as you are uses them, they must be a fine speaker, i am about to make a plan request! This 4 Pi, The 7pi and the 10 pi all can use the same driver, so I plan on building all three, or at least the 4 and 7 Pi. The ten is really interesting, but not a whole lot smaller than the A7s I am currently using.

Thanks for the input,
Russellc

Re: 4 Pi stage series placement [message #41721 is a reply to message #41711] Fri, 27 June 2003 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks Wayne,
How high should be considered maximum?

Thanks again to all,
Russellc

Re: 4 Pi stage series placement [message #41722 is a reply to message #41721] Fri, 27 June 2003 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Don't raise four π loudspeakers more than a foot off the ground unless you're using them with subs. It's best to leave them within a few inches from the floor, angled back if desired.

If you're using subs, you can put the main four π speakers up a little higher. You'll still want to make sure the floor bounce notch is within the subwoofer's bandwidth, so it will sum with the mains and smooth out the notch.

To make best use of subs, you should carefully consider placement of the mains and the subs so the summing of each together forms the smoothest overall response. Also relevant is the bandwidth of the subs, because the can smooth the floor bounce notch from elevated mains only if the frequency of the notch is within the passband of the subs.

In general, the closer the subs are to the mains, the higher in frequency they can be run. There are competing proiorities though, because best room mode averaging is provided by distributed subwoofers. You want to position the subs where they smooth room modes best, i.e. constructive nodes from one bass sound source should lie where destructive nodes from another bass sound source falls. So as you can see, there are a few variables to juggle when deciding the best positions and subwoofer bandwidth.

Re: 4 Pi stage series placement/plan request [message #41724 is a reply to message #41722] Fri, 27 June 2003 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
thanks for the speedy reply. Could I please get the 4 Pi plans (Stage)?
Thanks Wayne,
Russellc
You've got mail! [message #41727 is a reply to message #41724] Fri, 27 June 2003 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: You've got mail! [message #41741 is a reply to message #41727] Sun, 29 June 2003 06:35 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks Wayne,
I received your e-mail, I had forgotten about the hot mail problem. I have Emailed you an alternative address: cathouse7@sbcglobal.net. Sorry about that!

Thanks Wayne,
Russellc

Previous Topic: Ping Wayne: Emminence Sigma Pro
Next Topic: 511B update #3 Major Improvement!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 06:01:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio