Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet
Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet [message #41659] Wed, 18 June 2003 10:40 Go to next message
Mark Korda is currently offline  Mark Korda
Chancellor
Hi all, I bought a Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet. The quality and construction are beautiful. A Titantic 12" sub-woofer will be installed. I will be using a seperate amp, not the sub amp Parts Express sells. There are 4 cross braces inside with circular half moon shapes. My question is, What would be the best way to dampen the inside, Acousta-stuff, Fiberglass, egg-crate foam rubber, etc., and how much or how loose or tight should it be done? It's 3 cubic feet inside, and front firing. Thanks all, I asked this question before but in reguards to stuffing a 2 and 1/2 foot tube.
Re: Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet [message #41660 is a reply to message #41659] Wed, 18 June 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Are you deciding against the sub amp because you don't like it for
some reason? I bought the 250W version, and can't complain one
bit. Its got way more power than I can use, and its easy to
interface, and quiet. As for the stuffing, either Accusta-stuff
or fiberglass will work fine.
Re: Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet [message #41661 is a reply to message #41659] Wed, 18 June 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been looking at that enclosure and driver (the kit actually). I can't get really good numbers on the box, but if it is 3 ft^3, then WinISD predicts a Qtc of 0.85 To my mind, that's a little boomy for music, fine for theater. I think the reason is that they also use the same box for their 15" woofer, so it's a compromise.

It looks like you need 4.7 ft^3 to get close to 0.7. On that basis I'd go with a fairly dense level of Fiberglass - to my understanding it will add the maximum amount of damping, hence "volume", and I think you'll want it.

FWIW

Re: Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet [message #41673 is a reply to message #41659] Thu, 19 June 2003 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank you Wunhuanglo for doing that math on stuffing the Parts Express sub-woofer. I really appreciate it. As to Chris R, here is my answer to you. I'm not using the Parts Express sub amp for a few reasons. The first is that the sub comes with no cut out for the amp. The second is that I have had a beautiful crossover, the prototype of the Shadow that was introduced years ago by a audio pen pal and freind Neil Shattles, it's coming out of retirement. I got a Dyna 150 coming from E-Bay that I will use in mono mode for 150 watts. And here is the real kicker Chris: An audiophile named Harvey Rosenberg that passed away a few months back wrote in Listener magazine that if you want audio nervana that you should bi-amp your speakers if you are usinga push-pull vacuum tube as I am, a Dyna-ST-35 for the top end, you should match the bottom end with the same type of amplification. If you don't he said there would be a certain (discombobularity) in listening. He was way out there, check out his site, it's still on the computer, but I have a dream of powering the sub with a DynaMark 6, a big black brute of an amp, 120 watts. Until then, I'm going to rebuild a rusty Mark 3 I have, but I can't wait and will use the Dyna transistor 150. Don't get pissed at me, but most people think that a transistor bottom end amp is the way to go and tube amps bottom end might sound less tight and muddy. I'm 46 now and remember when Harvey Rosenberg was called the (tube god) working closely with Julius Futterman who made an output or input transformerless tube amp. Time for a beer, thanks Chris.
Re: Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet [message #41675 is a reply to message #41673] Thu, 19 June 2003 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Hi Mark,

I've got no issue with what you are doing. I was just saying that
the sub amp has decent performance, and is easy to deal with. I have
a couple of MK-III's that might work, but once you've thrown a
surround sound receiver into the picture, I give up in real high
fidelity. All the DSP stuff seems artificial to me.
Long live analog stereo!
Chris

t [message #41676 is a reply to message #41675] Thu, 19 June 2003 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Chris, it's late at night and I have a buzz on, but I was around in 1979 when the sub-woofer thing was starting. The best was called the Dalquist 12 inch woofer. I used ACE AUDIO crossover at 100 Hertz, and it was affordable, 100.00? Compact disc's had not yet come, so ACE made a sub-sonic filter to go with the crossover so that LP record warble at 30 hertz and on down would not make your tonearm bounce off your turntable. Janis and Altec and Visonik were the pioneer sub's. Also ............ Cerwin-Vega, who started the whole thing with the movie (EARTHQUAKE). My computer is going out of control, Chris, I'll get back to you... Mark
Re: Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet [message #41682 is a reply to message #41675] Fri, 20 June 2003 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Chris R, I reread the article by Harvey Rosenberg, Dr. Gizmo on the computer. Chris check out his site, even though he has passed, I think his wife keeps it going. I made a mis-quote. He said to watch out when bi-amping tubes with amps that are push-pull and ones that may be set, or single end triode. Why? Because one uses feedback and the other does not. So solid state bottom end is fine when used with a push-pull amp like the Dyna 70, which uses feedback. I just found the site,I hope it still works..... www.meta-gizmo.com thanks Chris... Mark.
Re: Parts Express 12" sub-woofer cabinet [message #41685 is a reply to message #41682] Fri, 20 June 2003 17:30 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I've read most of the articles on Dr. Gizmo, awhile back, and they are very entertaining and enthusiastic, mostly based on his ear rather than technical knowledge, but he was a early crusader for re-introduction of SET in our country. I would suggest to you that many on this board, and especially Wayne, could be of much help to you if you want to build a killer subwoofer or a whole speaker system- check out the archives and designs. Good luck with your project!
Previous Topic: Anyone know Mac box software for 2 indentical woofers??? nt
Next Topic: OK,noMac,So 2 same Woofers in a BR Box Software?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 05:11:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio