Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » more horns
more horns [message #41621] Sun, 15 June 2003 09:32 Go to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi All,
I know I'm going a bit off topic, but has anyone built a "Jensen Imperial" horn, or had any experience with them. People have made favorable comments, but... I want to ask the experts. You guys! Just trying to educate myself.
Take care,
Steve

Re: more horns [message #41939 is a reply to message #41621] Wed, 16 July 2003 04:39 Go to previous message
aafradio is currently offline  aafradio
Esquire
I have built four of the larger variation of the factory Imperial over the years, Steve. This was described in an article that appeared in about 1952, IIRC, and depicted the enclosure as a no-compromise laboratory version of the Imperial. I recall the article was written by a couple of Jensen engineers - probably even included the Chief Engineer. I have lost the article, unfortunately, but I remember a couple of interesting aspects to the content. The first was mention that it was specifically designed for the G-610 because the math showed that cutoff frequency had to be below the resonant frequency of the speaker cone, and in fact they briefly discussed spraying something on the cone of any other speaker to stiffen it slightly and raise its natural frequency. The cutoff frequency was on the order of 30Hz, and there was a measured frequency response curve included in the article. Because of the horn efficiency it doesn't take more than 60 watts to drive them to concert volume. I still have the last two enclosures I made and have been extremely happy with them. I haven't heard a smoother sounding bass response on anything else. They are plug ugly, though - there's little you can do to make them attractive except put them behind a curtain. :-)

Best wishes,
Mike

Previous Topic: Shipping
Next Topic: Anyone built the Studio 2 as a coaxial?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:52:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio