Home » Audio » General » Review of the i84 amp by Vista Audio
Re: Review of the i84 amp by Vista Audio [message #4142 is a reply to message #4139] Mon, 26 March 2007 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Wayne!
-akhilesh

Re: Akhilesh is in the SHOW! [message #4143 is a reply to message #4141] Mon, 26 March 2007 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
THanks for the support Bill. Appreciate it.
-akhilesh

Re: Review of the i84 amp by Vista Audio [message #4151 is a reply to message #4131] Thu, 29 March 2007 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Nice review excpet for when reviewers make dumb statements like:
"At one point, a friend brought over a Sophia Baby amplifier, and we compared it to the i84. The difference in power output was obvious, as the Sophia needed to be turned nearly to maximum to get anywhere close to the volume that the i84 achieved at 9 o'clock. The midrange was a tossup, with the Sophia producing a softer, more rounded tone." You would think that someone who does reviewing on a regular basis would understand that the position of the volume control is only an indication of the gain of the amp, for a given output level, and not an indication of the available power of the amp.

Re: Review of the i84 amp by Vista Audio [message #4152 is a reply to message #4151] Thu, 29 March 2007 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks for pointing that out, Steve. Glad you like the review overall.

You are right, the Sophia may require a larger voltage input in order to provide the 10 watts it advertises. I used what I consider a standard CD player in the review, so it is extremely likely that a consumer buying one amp over the other would experience similar results when listening to the two amplifiers, (in other words they may need a source with a larger voltage output signal, or some sort of preamp with the Sophia). I could have been more precise in my statements, but hey, it's printed now!

Contrary to what you said, a lot of reviewers are not technically inclined. SO a lot of reviewers may not know that Power = VI = V^2/R.

My goal in writing these reviews is to approach it from the point of view of the majority of audiophiles, (i.e., not impress others with my technical knowledge but attempt to communicate how the product performs in a real world environment for an audiophile who may not remember much about electrical circuits but still likes to listen to well reproduced music).
-akhilesh

Re: Review of the i84 amp by Vista Audio [message #4153 is a reply to message #4152] Thu, 29 March 2007 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Sorry, it didn't occur to me that you were the reviewer. I should not have said "dumb". I will say, however, that I've met many people who associate the volume control setting with output power, so I'm on a mission to correct the misconception.
Appologies,
Steve

Re: Review of the i84 amp by Vista Audio [message #4154 is a reply to message #4153] Thu, 29 March 2007 17:01 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Not a problem, Steve! Apology accepted. It was an imprecise thing for me to say in the review, and when I was writing that, in my mind the two concepts WERE muddled up, though I should know better.

Feedback like the one you provided will just make my reviews better in the future. THanks for reading the review.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Lone Star Audio Fest Request
Next Topic: Tweaks That Make A Difference
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 19:27:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers