Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone using bigger Pis for home theatre?
Anyone using bigger Pis for home theatre? [message #41465] Fri, 23 May 2003 12:59 Go to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
I just played the soundtrack to "The Thin Red Line" on my TAD/JBL 'phile 7's. I've never seen the movie, never heard the soundtrack before, and just scared myself half to death. Good grief! . It's like a top notch movie theatre, only better. And this with 9 watts/channel, two front channels only. I've gotta get a projector and screen or large flat screen in this place. Holy smokes! No more megaplex for me, man. Who's bringin' the popcorn?

And this followed 8 hours of happily listening to music of all sorts on the same system. (It's not the big rig, either. I haven't collected the rest of the pieces from Steve C's yet!)

Please tell me other people have tried this. Unreal.

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Re: Anyone using bigger Pis for home theatre? [message #41466 is a reply to message #41465] Fri, 23 May 2003 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
We watched Fight Club on my friends 4pi's the other night. Man the Pi's are just amazing with Movies. They sound so clean, and the dynamics are unreal. :-D Once I finally get the money for my 3pi theater series, I plan on having the same experience at my house. I just need to get a nice HDTV to watch all the movies on!
Re: Anyone using bigger Pis for home theatre? [message #41469 is a reply to message #41465] Fri, 23 May 2003 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Oh yes!
I remember when I first completed my Theater 4's. That was about the time that Wayne was speaking often of the Matrix as a good demonstration. Of course there was great sound and those crazy clean dynamics that actually startle you. I have no way of knowing how much power I was using, but I can attest that the gunshots seemed near live level through the Adcom 5400. Just set the volume for clear dialog and hold on for the ride. I see why Wayne likes this demo. The sound can really pin you to the couch, and it's a great movie. Since then I have gotten a lot more into video. I think the poor dynamics of my old speakers actually hurt the fun factor. In hindsight I do remember enjoying "films" more than movies with the old room dividers, er, speakers. Could have been the sound. It was like having a TV monitor that has poor contrast and can't do bright colors. Speaking of which I have to get a better TV now. I have also noticed that regular cable is more enjoyable with meaty speakers. While it is compressed compared to DVD, There is still better vocal intelligibility and that quick punch needed for realistic sound effects. You gotta them big Pi's!
Thomas
Re: Welcome, my friend [message #41471 is a reply to message #41465] Fri, 23 May 2003 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
welcome to the speaker machine. You will now find yourself "listening" to movies instead of watching them. Wou will want a center channel equal to your mains (or close to it. The center channel should never be forward of the mains either. For surround you could get by with those silver e's. :)
I love my new amp too.

Bill

Re: Anyone using bigger Pis for home theatre? [message #41472 is a reply to message #41465] Fri, 23 May 2003 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Theatre 4's or JBL 2226/Altec 811's; doesn't matter, the clean bass, the clear dialogue and the dynamics do it better. However, add a Pi-sized Titanic 12 sub Wayne-tuned to 16 Hz and put on the "Pearl Harbor" soundtrack. I won't even try to describe the bombing runs.

Re: Anyone using bigger Pis for home theatre? [message #41473 is a reply to message #41465] Fri, 23 May 2003 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
yeah, i'm with you. i much prefer my stereo pi's to most 5.1 set-ups. sure, i miss the rear effects but the dynamics & crispness are unbeatable. properly seated, no center channel is needed.

cheers,

george

Re: Welcome, my friend [message #41481 is a reply to message #41471] Sat, 24 May 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
I'm thinking one more JBL 2123 in a .5 cu ft box would make a damn fine center/dialogue spkr. I think they, in particular, are breaking in and blending better with the TADs. I'm going to hold off on torturing the xo for a while.

Actually, 2123's for the rears might be nice, too.

Silver E rears - yer killin' me. For ultimate refinement, they're still the ticket, IMHO. For kicking serious butt, well . . . .

Glad you're digging the Conqueror!
Keep your ears and your mind open.

good reference site for home theatre ? [message #41494 is a reply to message #41465] Sun, 25 May 2003 10:29 Go to previous message
jeff g is currently offline  jeff g
Chancellor
i have studio 2 towers and was thinking about making some theatre 7 cornerhorns

how would i put together a ht system using these speakers ? and what kind of amp/receiver do you need?

as this message probably suggests, i'm a total novice

thanks for any advice

Previous Topic: Audiophile Series
Next Topic: wayne - theatre 7 crossover question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 09:25:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers