Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL vs. Lambda??
JBL vs. Lambda?? [message #41414] Sun, 18 May 2003 17:12 Go to next message
AR is currently offline  AR
Esquire
I've got a pair of JBL 2204Hs as well as a pair of Lambda TD15Ms. I was thinking of a Pi conical horn design to cross over to a pair of Oris 150s at about 150-200 hz or a little higher. Which would be the better choice considering bass extension, size, sound quality, etc.? Would I be better off just using one of these pair in a bass reflex enclosure?
Thanks, AR
Oris / π systems [message #41415 is a reply to message #41414] Sun, 18 May 2003 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't know about the Lambda's, but I know the 2204's are nice. As for combining a π cornerhorn with an Oris horn, you might search here for "Oris" and also for posts from "Shanko" here and on the BD (Oris) site. He says it's a great system and I'll bet he's right.

Re: JBL vs. Lambda?? [message #41417 is a reply to message #41414] Sun, 18 May 2003 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nilemi is currently offline  nilemi
Esquire
I have Oris 150s with Lambda TD15Xs in 8 cu ft boxes with 2 700 gmPRs in each box. I am very happy with the bass since I had the Sony 9000 upgraded with VSE Level II mods. The bass is run by an AVA Omega III 240 and will go very low and be tight and distinct. A friend called it "hard bass". Lambda is going out of business so that is something to consider. nilemi
Re: Oris / π systems [message #41419 is a reply to message #41415] Sun, 18 May 2003 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shanko is currently offline  Shanko
Chancellor
Yeah, I lucked out, the (effective) sensitivity of the two horns are matched meaning I can run the Oris "wide open" & just a simple cap and coil on the 10Pi off the one amp. Very, very good match using vintage JBL 130A's.

Undeniably a 'big rig' though!

Shanko

Re: Oris / π systems [message #41421 is a reply to message #41419] Sun, 18 May 2003 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've just gotta say, those horns look great!

Pictures of your speakers are online at the π Speakers website at www.PiSpeakers.com/DIY/10Pi_Oris.jpg and www.PiSpeakers.com/DIY/10Pi_Oris_Shanko.jpg.

David Shank's Oris / ten π loudspeaker system

Re: Oris / π systems [message #41423 is a reply to message #41421] Mon, 19 May 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shanko is currently offline  Shanko
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne!

To comment further on the initial question, I guess what I would do is figure out how much space I have, whether I could use corners, and generally figure out what was more important to me - efficiency/speed, or extension.

If bass depth and reasonable cabinet size are high priorities, the Lamda either Pi aligned or with PR's (per the post above) might be the best solution. If efficiency and integration is key, and the corners are usable, a Pi corner horn with the JBL's could be a good option. Or maybe the "chopped" 10Pi variant if the corners aren't great. It would be a good idea to try both drivers in a simple Pi aligned box to try and figure out which one worked for the space and intended top horn the best (mono would give a reasonable indication).

Another (possibly brave) option might be to sell the lamda's and JBL's and make some sort of horn/reflex hybrid cabinet using the new 'BD15' high efficiency 15" that Bert has designed specifically for use with the Oris - there is a discussion going on about this on the BD-design forum right now.

Re: Oris / π systems [message #41424 is a reply to message #41423] Mon, 19 May 2003 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll tell you another thing I'm looking into - a Push-Pull configuration of the π cornerhorn. We recently had a brief discussion about Push-Pull woofer arrangements, and I think there may be some merit in this design type, particularly for π cornerhorns. So I'll be doing some investigation of this matter.

Thanks for the info. (NT) [message #41433 is a reply to message #41424] Mon, 19 May 2003 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AR is currently offline  AR
Esquire
(NT)
Re: Oris / π systems [message #41437 is a reply to message #41424] Tue, 20 May 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter K is currently offline  Peter K
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

I would definately be very interested in hearing any progress about these push-pull corner horns too - so please keep us informed:-)

Thanks!

Regards
Peter

Re: JBL vs. Lambda?? [message #41441 is a reply to message #41414] Tue, 20 May 2003 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Anonymous
I chose Lambda TD15H over JBL 15's for my project. Lambda sonics
are awesome whether sealed or ported box. Good low end, great
bass guitar, great midbass and great midrange sonics.

Lambda is not going out of business, Nick is running the business
part time to cater to the Lambda lovers. hehe

Best 15 inch I've heard so far. The M version is more like a midrange only driver I think. If you want better bottom end, I would seek
the other flavors of TD15, they make a few versions. I chose H for
lowest Q.

Previous Topic: Eminence horn
Next Topic: need expert advice ( and epstein too )
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 05:56:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio