Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » NE Bot Blast was a Bachanalian Pi Fest!
NE Bot Blast was a Bachanalian Pi Fest! [message #41410] Sun, 18 May 2003 06:39 Go to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
The rest of the attendees must be sleeping in. Hell, I slept in and I'm up!

Anyway, Yesterday's NE Bot meet was one for the record books. 20 people were in attendance. Steve C. was smoking ribs on the deck, there were more obscure varieties of beer than you could shake a stein at, and more projects, particularly speakers, than you could shake a stick at.

Bill and Chris Martinelli were the first to arrive, having left Rochester at some absurd time like 6am! He brought his Arezzi speakers, 12" horns w/Eminence driver and a few other goodies that didn't get played. They sounded very good running off an all Bottlehead system, but the WannaGlows got pusehd over the edge by the bass/drums on a Bela Fleck CD. (Mind you, it was loud, and Steve's LR is pretty big.) A 2A3 amp would do fine in a smaller room at saner levels.

We popped my TADs in 17" horns on the Arezzis, and they sounded excellent, smoother, but higher output, so we attenuated them a touch and the combo really sang.

(I've already gotten out of sequence - Steve's Straight 8's were first, and sounded excellent as always.)

A pair of ProAc 2.5 clones were up next, and sounded very good, although smaller in scale. A Dyna Stereo 70 booted them along very nicely, though.

My TADs were up next, causing a break in the music while I wrestled with a preamp change, multiple amps and active xover. They sounded much better to me in a larger room than they had in my shop. (Steve concurred; I think he was trying to convince me to leave them there!) If you want to do audiophile quality arena rock in a living room, this may be the way to do it.

Several other speakers were still waiting to be heard when I had to take off, including a pair of Pioneer 8" FR, Dave Jacobesen's Fostex FR and a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls.

I know John LaPaire took great notes, so I'll quit while I'm ahead and leave to him and other attendees to report in on what they heard. (Ate, drank, etc....)

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Re: NE Bot Blast was a Bachanalian Pi Fest! [message #41411 is a reply to message #41410] Sun, 18 May 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for telling us about the meeting. I sure wish I could have been there. Sounds like you all had a really nice time! That's a really great bunch of people, isn't it?

Re: Thanks to Steve for such wonderful hospitality [message #41413 is a reply to message #41410] Sun, 18 May 2003 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

What a show. The NE Bottle head gang is a great bunch. Thanks to Steve for hosting in his very nice home and cooking up a storm.
Chris was surprised there were other wives there and she even said we should do this again. I heard the straight eights for the first time. A very nice speaker to listen to. There was so much gear there. Guys had built bottle head amps, home brew designs, I believe Shane built a pre/phono and amp from some older designs that sounded great. Hand built turntable was just stunning. very detailed and well thought out. Maybe if I ever get board I'll have to fire up the mill and put those angular contact spindle bearings I've been hording to good use. Just never enough time is there guys?

Finally got to hear some 1" TAD drivers. They are indeed a special piece or work. It would be so easy to grumble about the Eminence 2002 driver if it was priced in the 300 + range. For the money they cost at less than 100 they are really great.

Dave's big TAD system with a JBL thrown in to maintain good balance! Sounded Oh so clean and detailed. It took a little fiddling as always but before I left they were doing it in style.

We had to hit the road and get to Providence for late dinner So I missed the Cornwall's, Fostex and some other great Bottle gear that was built. Just got unloaded and can set up my new Conqueror Amp and relax.

Bill

Speakers speakers everywhere [message #41426 is a reply to message #41410] Mon, 19 May 2003 09:57 Go to previous message
Steve Culton is currently offline  Steve Culton
Esquire
And the word was, "Yahtzee!"

You know, I really like my Straight 8s. Speakers, I think, are the most subjective component in the system. Cope is right, with the new xover and in the big room, they sounded great. But...

...so did the other stuff. I really was digging Cope's big Pi cabinets/horn combo, and Bill M's design as well. A lot. So much, in fact, that if I ever build a larger dedicated listening room I'd have to seriously consider that type of combination.

Thanks to everyone who attended. Great group of people. Looking forward to hosting again soon. (Probably this September).

Previous Topic: Altec 511B Ringing Update
Next Topic: which 18 inch subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 09:10:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout