Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Could I squeeze a 2pi into this cabinet?
Could I squeeze a 2pi into this cabinet? [message #41294] Sun, 11 May 2003 11:25 Go to next message
RJeff is currently offline  RJeff
Chancellor
Could I use a prefab parts express cabinet of 22 X 13.5 X 9 for a 2 pi by adjusting the port size? If so, can someone who understands the Helmholz formula better than this mathematical illiterate help me out on this one?
(I've got a router, but not a table saw, and I am having little luck finding anyone who will custom cut the wood in my area.)
Thanks
Jeff
Re: Could I squeeze a 2pi into this cabinet? [message #41295 is a reply to message #41294] Sun, 11 May 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What's the internal volume of the cabinet? In a very large box, the proportion of volume displaced by wood stock and internal components is small compared to the the total volume. But in a cabinet this small, it becomes more significant. I'm sure you could use it with an Alpha 10 and expect good results, but we really need to know the internal volume, so please write back when you find out.
Internal volume [message #41298 is a reply to message #41295] Sun, 11 May 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Parts Express claims it is 1 cubic foot.
(Walls are 3/4" MDF.)
Thanks
Jeff
one π [message #41299 is a reply to message #41298] Sun, 11 May 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

At one cubic foot, you're just perfect for a one π speaker. What about building that instead?

Re: Could I squeeze a 2pi into this cabinet? [message #41300 is a reply to message #41294] Sun, 11 May 2003 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Jeff. You need 12 pieces of MDF. No Problem!
Lowes or Depot will do that on their panel saw. But have more than a cut list. Be able to tell them,
"first, cut the 4X8 into 2 pieces x" by y", then cut 4 pieces x" X y", etc., you get the idea. The guy on the saw prolly shags carts or drives a forklift. Make it easy for him, he'll do it. Those panel saws are usually out of square an 1/8" at least over 8 feet so make sure when you assemble you leave edges proud of panels, not the reverse. Easy to trim an edge square, you don't want to have to sand down an entire panel. And remember that MDF is 49x97.
And see the archives for all sorts of cabinet making info from Bmar and some guy name of Till E.
You can do it.
Not MY home depot [message #41306 is a reply to message #41300] Mon, 12 May 2003 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the encouragement, but my Home Depot has a big sign saying "No Precision Cutting!" Precision here being defined by anything requirinng measurements. Meaning they'll hack a 2x4x8 into roughly 2 pieces but that's about as far as it goes.
There's a Lowes somewhere near the Meadowlands; I'll give thme a shot if I'm ever out there.
Jeff
Re: My Home Depot has the same sign.... [message #41307 is a reply to message #41306] Mon, 12 May 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
and they cut mine no problem. There's another sign that says something like "all cuts over 2 per sheet are $0.25 each." The guy that cut mine was so interested in the speakers he didn't even charge extra for the cuts. I think the "no precision cuts" is just there to protect them if someone tries to get weird with them. As Someone says above, you don't need precision cuts. If it's a little off here and there leave it proud or flush cut it later.
Re: My Home Depot has the same sign.... [message #41308 is a reply to message #41307] Mon, 12 May 2003 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Sutherlands and Lowes that are near my house also have a sign posted that says "no precision cuts." Oddly, I first noticed this about a week ago when I bought a 2x4 and wanted two pieces cut to 34 5/8". They cut it with one piece being 34 3/4" and the guy was happy to give it another cut, so that the two were the same length. I suspected as Matts said, that the sign and is there because they don't want to be responsible for a quality cut when they aren't really setup for that. I don't doubt Jeff's experience, but I think its pretty much a personal thing and depends on the guys that happen to be working lumber that day.
Re: where there's a will, there's a relative [message #41319 is a reply to message #41306] Tue, 13 May 2003 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Juan Epstein is currently offline  Juan Epstein
Esquire
OK, New York, that's a different Home Depot, where the 20/20 cameras caught the forklift driver screaming obscenities at the 2 terrified Oriental women as he was attempting to load a bunk of drywall on top of them. "get the f--k out of the way!"
Perfect excuse to acquire a new tool. Get the little SkilSaw Tablesaw for about $139. Just clamp it on top of a Workmate.Then have the Depot or Lowes guys cut your 4X8's into manageable sizes, take'm home and run'm thru the saw. Don't get a Ryobi, only the SkilSaw.
The weakest point of the little saws is the fence. Always measure from the blade to the fence at the front and rear of the blade when you set up a cut.
I have a friend who makes cheap melamine kitchen cabinets for re-habs on that very saw. He built plywood table extensions around it so he could handle larger panels.
Re: Skill saw tricks [message #41321 is a reply to message #41300] Tue, 13 May 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
WhoWasILastWeek? is currently offline  WhoWasILastWeek?
Esquire

You can buy or better yet make your own cutting jig for a skill saw. It will make ruler straight cuts and be as Accurate and Square as you take time to measure and clamp it (elli may) in place. Since the saw runs on top of the guide there is no tear out on the top side under the guide either. You can make very nice cuts with an inexpensive skill saw. A good blade is more important than the saw i'm afraid.

Patty Hurst

Previous Topic: The Ps (Sam and Wayne) made me do it
Next Topic: dml-1152mc
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 10:20:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers