Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Which PI speakers to build?
Which PI speakers to build? [message #41189] Thu, 01 May 2003 15:17 Go to next message
G is currently offline  G
Esquire
Hi All,

I've been looking at the Pi loudspeakers and I have to admit that I'm intrigued. I use a low wattage 5687/EL84 SE amplifier (triode mode). I need a very efficient pair of speakers to match up to my amplifier. I would like to build a pair of speakers using 1" birch plywood. What model would best suit my needs? Thanks.

G

Re: Which PI speakers to build? [message #41208 is a reply to message #41189] Fri, 02 May 2003 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi G,

You've come to the right place, esp. if you are a DIYer type. There is " a Pi speaker for anyone"! If you have a small listening room the Studio 2 Pi's are an exciting sounding speaker. Lively full range sound. Also comes in a tower version for slightly more bass responce. The regular 2's sounded great with my 2A3 Paramours. I built a pair of Theater 4's which are very large speakers and they sound great with both the Paramours and my Heathkit EL-84 amp. The Theater 4's cost a good bit more to build but for the comparable quality in a commercially made speaker other than Wayne's "factorybuilt" Pi's, you'd have to spend alot more money. The 4's are a more refined sound though the 2's are just a heck of a good deal and are very fun to listen too. To be honest I didn't have the 2's in house long enough to evaluate the long term satisfaction to be gained with the 2's but I suspect they would hold up in the long term. Wayne's other models probably would perform well with the 10 to 14 watts you probably have on hand. I'll let others comment on those other speakers.

Good luck and be sure to visit Waynes's website at Pispeakers.com

Another G!

Re: Which PI speakers to build? [message #41211 is a reply to message #41208] Sat, 03 May 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G is currently offline  G
Esquire
I only have about 2.5 watts on tap with my little homebrew amp so I think the the Pi 4 thermionics would probably be the way to go. I see that they use a compression driver for the high end. Is there a horn mounted to these drivers or something else? Thanks.

G

Re: Which PI speakers to build? [message #41213 is a reply to message #41211] Sat, 03 May 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Yes, the driver is horn loaded. The Thermionics would be a good choice as would the Theater 4's. I just wish I had a larger listening room to really let my Theater 4's sing. With my 11.5'x 17.5' room I find I have to deal with many room effects and since it is also the "family" room, I can't play with too many wife-unfriendly sound treatments!

G.

Find a tape measure . . . [message #41214 is a reply to message #41211] Sat, 03 May 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
. . . and see just how big those suckers are. If you got that much room, you also might have free corners and should consider cornerhorns.

If I had the room, I'd be all over 'em.

If you wanna get some ideas for finish, options, wood horns, etc, check out the link.

Re: Which PI speakers to build? [message #41215 is a reply to message #41213] Sat, 03 May 2003 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi G,
An el-84 amp is kind of like a Decware SET isn't it? ( either el-84 or sv-83) These 2 watt amp types are very sensitive to speaker loading as they really prefer woofers with low Z-max specs. That's why Wayne developed the "Thermonic Series". The only other choice IMHO is a "Theater Series" model 4 Pi or 7 Pi. They both use Eminence Delta 15 woofers, which are quite tube friendly. You can also use large SS amps with them when you want to scare the neighbors. (just kidding) The advice to get out the tape measure is really good. These are mostly large speakers. They are excellent performers though.
Take care,
Steve
Re: Which PI speakers to build? [message #41216 is a reply to message #41215] Sat, 03 May 2003 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi G, the first pair i built were theater 7 pi cornerhorns. i was using the decware zen amp. although it drove them well with clean dynamic sound i found it was not enough power. you will want to listen to the pi's louder because they just sound so real. i recommend a 15w per channel tube amp such as a dynaco st-35, heathkit stereo 28 or similar amp from this vintage. the paramours from bottlehead are also a good match, seemingly putting out much more than their 3 watt rating. anyways, welcome to pi and keep us posted with your project.

cheers,

george

Ella, baby!.........Hey George- [message #41221 is a reply to message #41216] Sun, 04 May 2003 16:59 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Cleaned out the truck this morning, under the seat was your MAF "hall pass". Should I save it? See you in Rochester in June? Bring SARS. I need some time off.
Previous Topic: Is there a good substitute for r13?
Next Topic: Question regarding McBeans' Horn Resp program
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:06:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout