Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Is there a good substitute for r13?
Is there a good substitute for r13? [message #41176] Thu, 01 May 2003 05:17 Go to next message
Skier is currently offline  Skier
Esquire
I went to home depot and other improvement stores and they only carry the paper backed insulation, not the pink stuff without paper. Also, I have a concern about the particulates that my come out of the port. Is there an alternative dampening material that will work as well as R13? Thanks for comments.
Re: Is there a good substitute for r13? [message #41178 is a reply to message #41176] Thu, 01 May 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

You can simply peel off the paper from the kraft faced insulation on the R13. You can also purchase R19 unfaced and peel it in half.

If you have concerns about airborne fiberglass. You can go to a commercial insulation supplier, or HVAC supplier in your area. Get 1" high density fiberglass "duct liner" The 1" high density has the same accoustical properties as 3" insulation.

Duct liner in inside almost all commercial air conditioning ducts. Lots of people breathing it all day long. Dont know if that makes it better!

Bill

Re: Is there a good substitute for r13? [message #41196 is a reply to message #41178] Fri, 02 May 2003 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skier is currently offline  Skier
Esquire
Thanks Bill. I noticed that home depot sells acoustic insulation that can be sprayed on (like the old popcorn ceilings). Why is this never used?
Re: Is there a good substitute for r13? [message #41218 is a reply to message #41196] Sun, 04 May 2003 06:13 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

Good question on the popcorn. I dont know and my best guess, is that the material does not have enough acoustical damping properties for loudspeaker construction. It does however have enough damping proerties to tame an echo in a room so your house is not an acoustical hall or mirrors.
Previous Topic: B&C vs P.Audio compression drivers
Next Topic: Which PI speakers to build?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 18:55:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout