Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question on damping a midrange sub-enclosure
Question on damping a midrange sub-enclosure [message #41151] Mon, 28 April 2003 09:55 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi guys,

I'm in the final assembly stages of Dave Cope's three way quasi-Pi's with a JBL midrange mounted in a sealed sub-enclosure within the main cabinet housing the 15" Tads. My question is about the fiber damping. Do I need as much in the main cabinet since the mid-range is isolated and how much and where should I damp the interior of the sealed midrange box. Thanks.

G.

Pack it full, but loosely [message #41152 is a reply to message #41151] Mon, 28 April 2003 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

On sealed midrange enclosures, I pack them full but loosely. Don't put it in so tightly that it interferes with cone movement - Just line the walls and maybe put in another sheet, sort of corrugated or crumpled in the middle. If it sort of drapes diagonally across, that's great too.

This isn't really a difficult high-tech deal - We're trying to absorb everything inside, and that's best done with "acoustic drapes" more than with liners on the walls. There's no need for port flow and loosely hung stuff spaced away from the wall is better than coating the walls. So that's why you can just pack it in sort of loosely.

Sounds like a parachute! (n/t) [message #41153 is a reply to message #41152] Mon, 28 April 2003 14:33 Go to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
nt
Keep your ears and your mind open.
Previous Topic: So after MAF, you think Lima is off the map?
Next Topic: OT, mechanical nightmares
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 23:40:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout