Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » AR-10 worth anything?
AR-10 worth anything? [message #41005] Tue, 15 April 2003 21:08 Go to next message
Rally is currently offline  Rally
Esquire
Hi!

I have a pair of AR-10 Pi speakers which I don't use any longer and want to sell. My father bought them together with a Kenwood stereo sometimes back in 1979. Are the speakers worth anything?

The problem is, which I think is quite common after browsing the Internet for information, that the outer foam of the membrane on the subwoofers are drying out and starts to fall apart. I don't have the time and/or knowledge to fix them so...

Besides the subwoofer problem, I reckon that the speakers are quite nice since they are built in dark oak (I guess) and with 3-way switches for adjusting the subwoofer/midrange/highrange.

Anyone out there who could give me a hint on a possible value for the pair of speakers? I guess that there are collectors out there but I will probably not find one in my city (:

Regards,
Rally

Re: AR-10 worth anything? [message #41008 is a reply to message #41005] Tue, 15 April 2003 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No π Speakers were made in the seventies with this model number or name, and none had a separate subwoofer. We have the federally registered trademark, and have used the name since the seventies. We try to police the trademark as well as possible and prevent product confusion in the marketplace.

There have been a few products that took on the "π" or "Pi" name, but most are good to stop using the trademark when they realize it is already registered. This was one that slipped through, but it has been out of production for a long time. I don't know much about the specific model other than its name. Sorry I can't be more help to you.

Re: AR-10 worth anything? [message #41009 is a reply to message #41008] Wed, 16 April 2003 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rally is currently offline  Rally
Esquire
Strange...

The speakers have a "AR-10π" brand emblem on the front. The were sold in Sweden by the way.

However, the speakers I have looks exactly like the ones in this brochure that I found on the Internet:

http://www.arsenal.net/speakers/ar/ADD/AR-10 Pi Brochure.zip

Regards,
Rally

AR is acoustic research [message #41011 is a reply to message #41009] Wed, 16 April 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
try posting your inquiry "next door" in the VINTAGE forum. A search there may turn up some reference to the AR 10's.

FWIW, the old pair of AR2x's I had ended up being parted out, I then cut the front baffles away, and use them as storage/worktable in my shed. perfect height for rebuilding a carb, etc:)

the old sprague "compulytic" crossover caps spec was 20uF and they now measure 22.6uF, not bad for 31 year old electrolytic caps, the air core coils(1.27mH) were decent enough to recycle to the parts box also...ar level controls SUCK, btw. and what the hell was up with using a pot that varies the Z seen by the xover cap as the level is changed?!? that way the xover point can VARY with the level setting, then there can be a GAP between where the woofer dies like hitting a brick wall at 1kHz. and wherever the tweeter decides to come on line:(

"sealed woofer fart boxes", what was the question again? Sam

I know these speakers [message #41015 is a reply to message #41005] Wed, 16 April 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
My best friend bought a pair in the mid 70's and still has them. They are AR (Acoustic Research) 10Pi's, a three way design. Nothing special, frankly. They were semi-high end when new, but compared to todays product are nothing special. Do post on the Vintage forum for more input, however. Personally I wouldn't give $50 for the pair......
MBB

Here is an ebay link with photos [message #41016 is a reply to message #41005] Wed, 16 April 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
for your AR's

"Rally" has found his way onto the AR forum and [message #41018 is a reply to message #41016] Wed, 16 April 2003 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
gotten the answers he needs..............

Cool! [message #41019 is a reply to message #41018] Wed, 16 April 2003 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good deal. Glad everyone pointed him in a useful direction.

Any of you ever read or seen anything about Kloss? He was a long haired, pony-tail wearing fellow that was responsible for the AR speaker line and many other audio goodies. A really impressive guy.

Re: R.I.P. [message #41022 is a reply to message #41019] Wed, 16 April 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Wayne-

Are you thinking of Henry Kloss? I think he "invented" the first Acoustic Research speaker in the early 50s with another guy- then went on the found Advent, was in KLH, Cambridge Soundworks, recently did the Tivoli radios. I think he passed away last year. Very productive life dedicated to good sound- even if he did give up so much bandwidth for size!

Matts

Re: R.I.P. [message #41023 is a reply to message #41022] Wed, 16 April 2003 12:25 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Henry Kloss - That's right, Advent and KLH were his too. In fact, the Advent brand might be even more recognizable to some than AR.

Previous Topic: So who wants to go to Kentucky?
Next Topic: new eminence catalogue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 11:14:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout