Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Spring forward...
Spring forward... [message #40876] Sun, 06 April 2003 03:41 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Everybody set your clocks last night? "Spring forward, fall back." That saying always reminds me of the message on the ELO album "Face the Music" - The one that was recorded backwards: "The music is reversible. Turn back, turn back, turn back." Remember that?

I've been spending a lot of time with the Paramours. I gotta say that the thing I'm impressed with most is how loud they get. I know that's not the main thing, but really - it sounds like 100 watts or something. Clean. I can think of so many guitar players talking about "tube watts being more than transistor watts." I remember always thinking that tubes just acted differently when they entered clipping, and I still think that is the reason for that belief. But whatever - I can watch movies having the soundtrack piped through the Paramours with such huge impact that I absolutely don't feel that they need more power at all, not even in the bass. Big sound, huge dynamics, and thunderous bass. Just huge!

Those of you that can simply must try the π / Paramour combination. It's really great. Take away all the tone controls, bass boost or anything else like that. Just run it pure, a single 2A3 tube and nothing more. Thunderous bass, stunning range and huge dynamics. Now I'm using all those subjective terms I sometimes found inadequate. If I start talking about "liquid midrange" or "pinpoint imaging" I'll know I've gone too far and become intoxicated. Then again, maybe I'm already there. I can't help but to use terms like "thunderous" and "stunning." And when you consider that I'm used to running hundreds of watts to the same speakers - When I say that the dynamics are huge, I'm not kidding you. When you get 'em up to full volume - not clipping level, mind you - but clean full volume is a level where nobody in the room can talk to each other because it's just too loud.

Re: Spring forward... [message #40877 is a reply to message #40876] Sun, 06 April 2003 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
I have to put my plug for the 4 Pi-pro model here even though we have been there before. First, you can't put a SET amp on a pair of JBL 2226's that have not been broken in on some high wattage solid waste amps. I have been breaking in my 2226's for around 2 years now, and still find them breaking in further all the time. I started with 250 watts/chnl for the first 6 months, then I have Dynaco ST-70 which is good performer on the 2226's, and of course my Marantz 22xx series of receivers.

I have had success with my 2226J's (16 ohm) on Paramours (3 different ones) and Moth S45 amps. All of these were set up for the 8 ohm tap. I did not feel the lack of BASS that some have mentioned. I know the impedance seems to be wrong, and on my SCA-35/ST-70, will not work with wrong impeadance, but the SET's did work well that way. There are those who have heard (they brought their own amps to my house), and they believe.

Glad to hear you like the "Flea-power" amps, "The first watt is the most important one"

Cheers, Ron

Re: Spring forward... [message #40878 is a reply to message #40877] Sun, 06 April 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I can understand what you're saying, and I share your convictions. For a long time, I recommended the Pro series line right along with the other "tube friendly" stuff. Actually, the impedance peak isn't that large and so it seemed a natural for those that wanted the best. But there are a couple of popular SET amps that don't drive 'em as well as the others.

I expect most amps will work quite nicely, certainly amps that delivers more than ten watts. And I'm definitely happy with what the Paramours do, so I agree with your observations, 100%. That's an example of a "flea-powered" amp that works perfectly well with the Professional Series line of π Speakers. I'll bet your fours are sweet, a nice size and as pure as speakers come. The sevens are really great too - they've long been my favorites - and I wish I had two corners in my listening room because I'd like to spend some time with Paramours and sevens.

Have you tried a 6550 amp yet? [message #40882 is a reply to message #40876] Sun, 06 April 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scholl is currently offline  Scholl
Viscount
Do it asap! I'm not bullshiting! IT will save a lot of time and effort.

The Paramour is a great amp but the 2226H really likes a push pull 6550 the best, maybe a 8417 amp, I won't go there.

I've run the following amps:

SE:

The Noreaster 572-10 with 811-10 and -3 variations
6b4G
EL34
6L6GC
Sorry no 300Bs but the Noreaster will most likely be refit with 300Bs when the 572-10s go bad.
All with various iron and designs some mine some other folks.

Push pull:

HEath aa-151 stock and moded
Many different Fisher and Scott integrateds and recievers
Eico HF20s stock
Push Pull 6B4G with Scott iron and Eico HF20 iron Interstage and LTP phase splitters.
Dynaco ST70
HK Citation 2
Bogen MO200s stock and modded with EL34s
Bogen KO100s Stock and with minor power supply mods
A EL34 amp using Stancor iron and modified Mulard design to the "T"
Sansui Q50s (A great amp pair if you can find them)
Mac 40s
6C45s on a Seares chassis.
Again some of the amps were\are mine some other folks.

Solid state:

several classic Kenwoods KA601s, KA6100, KA7100
An NAD integrated
Sorry not much solid state comes into my house.

You get the point 7 years of all kinds of tube amps in many topologies in several rooms at several houses.

Just borrow a push pull 6550 amp from someone and stop pussy-footing around. You'll be shopping for one the next day.

The 2226H just seems to click with these tubes, great synergy.

Push-pull tube amps [message #40888 is a reply to message #40882] Sun, 06 April 2003 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The push-pull amp is great advice. I've heard a lot of good comments like this from those that have run push-pull tube amps with a little more power. There are a lot of happy people who own push-pull tubes and Professional Series π's, so I think you're on to something there.

6550 Push-pull tube amps [message #40892 is a reply to message #40888] Mon, 07 April 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scholl is currently offline  Scholl
Viscount
This is very spacific although I'd bet KT88s would work as well or better.

Small amps and SE amps do well but 6550s bring out the most from 2226Hs. Try it you'll like it.

Made my day! [message #40899 is a reply to message #40876] Mon, 07 April 2003 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Joppa is currently offline  Paul Joppa
Esquire
Thanks for the enthusiasm, Wayne!

I check this forum only occasionally, maybe once a month or so just to stay in touch with what's going on. I come by today, and here's this great post about my baby - it sure made my day! (For those who don't know, I did the electronic design of the Paramour for Bottlehead.)

Thanks.

Re: Made my day! [message #40901 is a reply to message #40899] Tue, 08 April 2003 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's an absolutely wonderful design. I really like it a lot, it's simple and just fine in stock trim. I've got the C4S kit but didn't put it in yet. I've just about decided that I want to keep one pair of monoblocks stock, and maybe buy another kit to upgrade, to see the differences between stock and improved. As far as I'm concerned, the Paramours are nice little amps, right out of the box.

I'll have your baby in Lima, and I hope to meet you there.

Hoo Boy! ...Have you got some fun in store for you! [message #40908 is a reply to message #40901] Tue, 08 April 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Wayne,

The Paramours' circuit is so clean and simple that any change to them is readily apparent, especially through high efficiency loudspeakers! Peruse the archives on the Bottlehead Forum and see all the things that folks have done to/with these big/little amps.

Have fun at Lima! Hope I can make it some year!

Garland

Re: Made my day! [message #40909 is a reply to message #40901] Tue, 08 April 2003 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Paul Joppa is currently offline  Paul Joppa
Esquire
Glad you like it, that is a big boost for me! The C4S is currently considered "stock," you might call it version 1.1 with the SRPP driver as version 1.0. It was added for several reasons, one of which is to reduce hum which is getting in from the power supply. If you like the SRPP driver, and the hum is OK, then you are fine. If there is a little too much hum, there are several other options to reduce it. Any Paramour owner is invited to ping me (pj@bottlehead.com) or post on the Bottlehead forum if you want to pursue any of them.
Previous Topic: 2 pi studio plans
Next Topic: Dear Joe, Btsfplk
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:44:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout